Digital TV antenna options

Looking for an antenna for digital. Any experience with the Bunnings ones,
are they OK or not?

Re: Digital TV antenna options

**Matchmaster or Hills. Forget the rest. Building a decent antenna is
not rocket science. Trouble is, the cheapies tend to use poor quality
plastics and they don't last very long. Given the hassle of climbing
around a roof, I don't see the point in buying the cheapest product
available. Dunno if they still do it, but Hills used to provide the best
antenna for a specific location (within a few Metres).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Digital TV antenna options

There is still a page there to enter your address and other details
and it tells you everything you need for the install, as well as the
location of your transmitter.

Agree on the quality, put up a Hills antenna in 1990, its gotten rusty
in recent years, but still gave an adequate signal even for digital.
Replaced it with new Hills one earlier this year (as well as new cable
etc) to make sure that all is OK and ready for digital switchover, and
noticed that the quality of the construction and materials still looks
to be good.

Haymans locally carry them, and they are just about everywhere, so
probably as easy to get as something at Bunnings.

Re: Digital TV antenna options
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 03:58:24 -0800 (PST), kreed

Only if you live in urban areas, by the looks of it:

"Unable to locate a suburb with the value you have entered. Please
choose one from the list"... there is no list for my area.

Re: Digital TV antenna options

remove the last letter of the Suburb, and type it in again, a pulldown
list will open showing your suburb and postcode, and you click on that
one

Re: Digital TV antenna options

**Update. I just checked the Matchmaster site:

http://www.matchmaster.com.au /

Use their antenna selection guide. Quick and easy.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Digital TV antenna options

Thanks, got one. Way more solid than the ones at the big B.

Neat the way it gives you your closeby stockists.

Re: Digital TV antenna options

"Trevor Wilson"

** When I try the guide,  it tells me to buy a "Squarial"   -  an 11 inch
square plastic box with god knows what inside.

http://www.matchmaster.com.au/domestic/combination-antennas/squarial-patch-antennas/01mm-sq01

It also tells me DSE sells them, which is not true while John R. Turks have
them at a mere $381 each.

The " Squarial " is claimed to have 21 dB gain at VHF and 27 dB gain at
HF  -  it uses an internal amplifier.

This is a highly misleading claim as there is NO substitute for the antenna
itself having gain and the corresponding directionality that goes with it.

Technical details of this " Squarial " seem impossible to find and it is
NOT the same as the famous BSB version once used in the UK for satellite TV
reception - cos that one operated at 10GHz and was substantially BIGGER !!

Something here is fishy ....

...  Phil

Site Timeline