Digital technology evolution - Page 2

Re: Digital technology evolution

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:58:09 +1100, Bob Parker

I bought a 320gb HHH yesterday for $130!!! I remember when a computer
owner had a HDD they were a yuppy!

Re: Digital technology evolution

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:28:56 +1000, The Real Andy

I also remember clearly my dads factory full of CNC machines running
off punch cards with the infamous nixie tubes.

Re: Digital technology evolution

I worked for a Totalizator company that went from electro-mechanical
computers, to DEC PDP and Vaxes, to Alpha minis, during the time I was
there.

The company name also changed over the years, was ATL (Sydney), and
ended up as Tabcorp. During the journey, was owned by AWA and the
Smorgon family at one stage.

Here is some of the early gear I actually worked on.
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bconlon/operation.htm#top
and this was an Australian invention to boot.
Main page is at:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bconlon /

I get a small mention down near the bottom of:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bconlon/intro2.htm#top

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: Digital technology evolution

Would you know gary elliot by any chance? I did a stint with TabCorp
after they bought out Jupiters. Jupiters purchased AWA before that.
Gary (from AWA), top guy had plenty of stories to tell about old tote
systems.

You are a sad man, tote walls and all!!!

Re: Digital technology evolution

Doesn't ring a bell Andy.
We went from ATL to the TAB in 1986 I think it was, so my knowledge of
ATL people was limited after that. In fact I'm pretty sure the ATL/AWA
link up took place well after 1986.

And I have been retired 7+ years now:-)

Don...