Digital odometer with flash/RAM memory for car - Page 2

Re: Digital odometer with flash/RAM memory for car

Well, it would depend on all sorts of things. If you just copy a whole
lot of files to a typically FAT-formatted disk, some sectors in the
FAT and directory would get updated over and over again as each file
is created.

Some makers of the flash disks claim that they avoid this problem by
not simply mapping logical sectors to physical locations in the flash
(ask Mr Google about "wear leveling").

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Digital odometer with flash/RAM memory for car

That's better. Will just about do. I thought it was 10,000.

Re: Digital odometer with flash/RAM memory for car

Seems like a big project but FYR the procedure for reading and writing
the on-chip EEPROM is described in the manual for the chip. For instance
the good old 16F84 manual
(http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/35007b.pdf) has the
EEPROM procedures in section 3.1 in assembler. If you were to use
Hi-Tech C, its got EEPROM_READ and EEPROM_WRITE macros. I expect other
compilers for PIC would have similar macros.

Re: Digital odometer with flash/RAM memory for car

Hi!

Thanks for the ongoing discussions.......

It looks like I can write to an EEPROM in "page" mode to acheive a longer
than one byte storage solution (allows 16-256k data to be written with one
command).....well, at least thats what I am interpreting from my recent
google discoveries.

Keep the ideas coming!

Thanks to all.....

Re: Digital odometer with flash/RAM memory for car

Something close that is off the shelf

http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/store/erol.html#636x0&&http%3A%252F %
252Fwww.google.com%252Fsearch%3Fq%3DTrail+Tech+motorcycle+speedo%
26sourceid%3Die7%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft%3Aen-US%26ie%3Dutf8%26oe%3Dutf8

There are other models available for trail motorcycles.

:-P

Site Timeline