Digital dashboard

Wanting to build a digital dashboard for my old vehicle which is currently
being rebuilt.

Most indicators will be bargraph (LM3914) but I am having difficulty coming
up with a decent design for a digital speedo (plus odometer).
I don't want to go the micro-processor route.

One solution that came to mind was using a F/V converter feeding a 3.5 digit
LED (LCD) display, fed from a sensor on the prop shaft.

Anyone got any better ideas? Or can someone point me to a web site where
there may be info?
Thanks

Re: Digital dashboard

coming
digit
You could search on 'digital speedo'. Comes up with the likes of:
http://martybugs.net/electronics/speedo.cgi

Ken

Re: Digital dashboard

Hunt down an old VK Calais dash, was a digital dash, and very well done ..
you could adapt its circuitry to a lot of what you need..

Re: Digital dashboard

**I guess what amuses me the most with all this digital dashboard stuff, is
the enormous (and I do mean ENORMOUS) amount of trouble auto manufacturers
are now going to, in order to make all the digital instruments appear like
analogue ones. It would seem to me, that if the analogue stuff is in place,
then use it. Just a thought.

Re: Digital dashboard

Analogue instruments cost more , usually a lot more to manufacture
today.

Don't need many skilled  workers to make the digital versions
 a few developers then unskilled labour for the rest.

Cheaper to emulate using a micro and an lcd/led screen.
Use the one control board across their whole range of cars.

Also reduce the number of boards / assemblies / parts
on the dash.

For existing cars would be cheaper to stick with analogue
if the car is already analogue.

Re: Digital dashboard

**Not my point.

**And again.

**Not under discussion.

**Debatable.

**Exactly!

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Digital dashboard

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 03:51:05 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"

Well no need to be amused anymore :)

Re: Digital dashboard

finger to keyboard and composed:

I would think it would be difficult to implement a "digital" odometer
without using a micro. AFAICS, you'll need an EEPROM for storage and
some way to write to it.

I have a digital instrument cluster from an old XD Fairlane. It uses a
vacuum fluorescent display. The odometer data is stored in EEPROM.

-- Franc Zabkar

Re: Digital dashboard

Any chance of pics of the boards / layouts?

Re: Digital dashboard

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:43:58 +0930, Kissing Lettuce
composed:

It's an assembly. I'll need to dismantle it before you can see
anything useful. I have VDO's pinout but no info other than that.
IIRC, it incorporates a 12V-50V DC-DC converter. Give me some time and
I'll post the pix on my web space.

-- Franc Zabkar

Re: Digital dashboard

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:02:18 +1000, Franc Zabkar

Here are the hi-res pix:

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/dash_front.jpg(1.5MB)

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/dash_rear.jpg(1.7MB)

It looks like there are two SMPS and two mask ROMmed CPUs.

-- Franc Zabkar

Re: Digital dashboard

Thank you for that.. I love pulling stuff like this apart if it doesn't
work any more.....

Am looking to find a broken or non working video camera to
have a fiddle with.

What kind of places might sell that?

Re: Digital dashboard

I worked on these little beasties as part of my final-year engineering
thesis project way back in 1986!

A small EMC problem that Ford were having with those new-fangled
electronic instrument clusters.

Never thought I'd see one of those again - except for the one I have
sitting here in my office.

Re: Digital dashboard

Didn't the old Holdel Calais have an all electronic dashboard?

Also why not see if you can find one from a wreckers (assuming
you can) and retrofit the instrument cluster and sensors?

We had a Fairmont Ghia with electronic speedo and computers
for everything except the fuel gauge and tachometer which for some
oddball reason was analogue.......

Cost half what the car is worth to replace too

Re: Digital dashboard

I understood the old Calais dash was notoriously unreliable.  If
you buy the American Magazines "Hot Rod" or "Car Craft" you will
find adverts for after market suppliers of digital
instruments.eg:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/hr

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Digital dashboard

The retro universal kit looks good
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm?ptype=article&article_id=9

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Digital dashboard

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:41:44 GMT, "aussieblu"

When I had my breif attempt at doing the endeavour rally, i used 2 vk
calais' retrofitted with the motec ignition systems and the motec
digital dash. Worked a treat.

This is not the unit we used, but http://www.motec.com.au/adl2.htm
looks neat. The stuff they sell now is much better than what was
available back when i was in the market.

Site Timeline