Digikey, Fedex, & Customs

I ordered parts from Digikey the other day worth US$1339 total and delivery
by Fedex.
Just got a call from Fedex saying I've gotta pay $214 (GST+ customs fee) to
release it.

I knew about the $1000 customs limit, but I thought it only applied to each
item, not the total bill, but apparently that's not the case.
Never had this happen before, although we normally use DHL.

Anyone else been caught out?

Beware.

Dave.

Re: Digikey, Fedex, & Customs

have used Mouser plenty of times, always kept it under $1000, and no
problems.
Other times, I make sure that if its over $1000, to do separate
orders. (if it can be split).
send the second order a week or so later, or at the same time to a
nearby family member /
friend if you need it all ASAP.  I have done this on occasion before,
no hassles.

It used to be $200, but the previous government lifted it. I think it
also includes postage - so leave a margin for that.

the Vlog was interesting too.  Amazing the crap people think you can
fix as if by magic (probably for nothing) simply because you work in
electronics.

Considering the number of TV repairers that have disappeared in my
area in the last couple of years, there probably will be no-one left
to fix TV's.  There is only one left that I know of in our city, and
they seem to survive mostly on TV/satellite antenna installs, 2 way
radio installs, as well as doing whitegoods service. Seeing the price
of those coming down and also becoming throw away items, the
whitegoods repair business (except warranty) is probably on the
decline also.

I doubt that the majority of TV's out of warranty are viable to repair
anyway. I also doubt that they pay much for warranty service now
either.

Re: Digikey, Fedex, & Customs

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 15:01:22 +1100, "David L. Jones"

It is based on the total amount I think. Also my experience has been
that EVERYTHING shipped by the main carriers i.e. Fedex UPS etc. is
assessed for customs duty, whereas if sent through the mail that seems
to not often be the case. Every package coming in does get
scanned/x-rayed by AP of course, but despite the value it is rare to
get notified of duty payable. The package just turns up, so I always
specify USPS.

Re: Digikey, Fedex, & Customs

Basically, it happens to me on every Fedex order Dave. Over $1000 oz and
you are hit. The old figure was $250 oz.

Last Fedex account, I also paid on top of GST:
ACS Entry fee $55.20
Duty and/or Tax advancement fee $15.55

Let's see $1339USD = ~ $1485AUD

all AUD
10% = $148.00
plus  $ 55.20
plus  $ 15.55
total $218.75 (close enough for govt work)
Which means there was no custom duty charged.

Silly part is all businesses can claim the 10% gst back, so it's adding
more paperwork and frustration to importing goods.

In the old days with 22% sales tax, we simply claimed an exemption as a
business, by quoting an exemption number.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Digikey, Fedex, & Customs

Hi Don,

What is a ACS Entry fee?

Joe

Re: Digikey, Fedex, & Customs

Australian Customs Service Entry fee.
http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/BD/1996-97/97bd062.htm

the way I understand it, to cover the paperwork costs by customs for the
entry into the country, of the goods.

here is one quote:
"In addition to the above mentioned service charges, the relevant
regulatory bodies such as the Australian Customs Service (ACS) and the
Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) will levy a series
of mandatory fees in order to recoup the costs associated with
processing customs and quarantine entries."

I make sure I never, ever, ever, ever, ship goods over the value of
$1000 without a courier. Why? Last time I did it, you had to fill out a
53 fields document in triplicate. Called a formal entry. You would be
better off getting a customs agent to do the paper work and pay him $150
to $200.

I am getting too old for that shit. I would rather return the goods, and
try again. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Digikey, Fedex, & Customs

Thanks Don

Re: Digikey, Fedex, & Customs

So basically it is a charge to cover the cost of charging you customs
duty. Isn't that called double dipping?

Re: Digikey, Fedex, & Customs

well, the case I'm talking about, and in most cases where electronic
parts are involved, there is no custom duty payable, just collection of
GST, which is refunded as a tax input credit anyway.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Digikey, Fedex, & Customs

So, it is a charge for wasting your time?

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Digikey, Fedex, & Customs

picked it in one Andy.

one of the many costs of Oz businesses importing gear.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie