Dick Smith Kits - Page 2

Re: Dick Smith Kits

     Some would say that it's been a constant gradual decline for the
last 25 years....

Bob

Re: Dick Smith Kits

It has for at least the last 15 years, and I would not argue with 25
years. Anyone who hasn't noticed that needs a checkup.
There was that brief spurt when the powerhouse stores opened, with
their "massive" range of components, fully stocked data library you
could browse, a work bench you could use, demo and kit building
classes etc but it died in the arse.

I recon we must get at least a couple of people a year complaining
about the "recent" decline of DSE, and another couple a year
complaining about the "decline" of Jaycar into a farting/novelty toy
seller, both of which are absurdly incorrect.
Classic material for an FAQ!

Dave :)

Re: Dick Smith Kits

"Absurdly incorrect" ???
Yes it's not recent, that's true, otherwise perfectly correct from the
perspective of anyone actually interested in electronics!

MrT.

Re: Dick Smith Kits

Why would anyone care about the demise of DSE as a hobby electronics
outlet?
Jaycar & Altronics (+others) have been happily filling (and improving
on) that niche for the last 20 years.
The only benefit of DSE was that they have more outlets.

Dave :)

Re: Dick Smith Kits

Taking DJ's lead, I checked up on a kit I had been thinking about for a while.
All stock here in WestOz was a zillion miles away, so I rang the nearest store
and asked if they could rope one in for me.  Happily arranged that.  I then
asked if this was a sign that DSE were getting out of kits.  No way, he said,
just some shinybum over east decided to "rationalise" their range, and to have
kits only carried at certain stores in future as well.  He said his store sells
a veritable shiteload and was earmarked as a "will carry kits" store.  Still
wondering if that was the real story or just the H/O shite that he was fed.

Re: Dick Smith Kits

Kits and books have long been the lowest selling product categories (less
than discrete components and way below plugs/sockets/wire) and though there
will be variations, I doubt they'd be major selling items in any DSE store.

Re: Dick Smith Kits

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 21:12:54 +1100, "Peter Parker"

I agree with Peter. Even when DSE had a large range of kits and books you
could see the slow decline in sales of those lines. Coincidently it also
marked a decline in sales of the Yeasu and other ham related lines.

As much as I hate to admit it, those roles are far better filled by small
niche market players like Jaycar and Altronics.

Interesting side note, the number of complaints I hear about one particular
Jaycar store here in Vic are increadible. The feedback is they are
extreemly unhelpful and often out of stock and very uninterested in
providing customer service. This has been happening for at least the last
six months but seems to have worsened in the last two.

mike

Re: Dick Smith Kits

With some junk box and a faulty multimeter for a case I built this
  total cost $1.00

http://ludens.cl/Electron/esr/esr.html

Re: Dick Smith Kits

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:12:37 +1100, Bob Parker

If you were interested in a kit, then i'd suggest buying it sooner rather
than later and risk not being able to get it at all.......

As for components, well, they are safe for the time being. Might even be
some new parts soon :)

mike

Site Timeline