Dick Smith Kits

Is tricky dicky getting out of the kit business?

All kits are half price this month!

- Rob.

Re: Dick Smith Kits

    A growing number of people are speculating about that....

Bob

Re: Dick Smith Kits

Not so, some are not reduced, some are less than half price. See their web
site for exact figures.

Seems pretty obvious they are reducing their inventory at least. The
Powerhouses got out of kit's already, so it's only a matter of time.
Looks like they may keep some of the beginner kits though, and drop the
magazine projects altogether.

MrT.

Re: Dick Smith Kits

Wait for the microwaves to go on sale

Re: Dick Smith Kits

Is this the type of thing you are looking  for?  Unfortunately the term
"euroconnector" describes a host of goodies from the 21 pin SCART to these
things. :-(
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=P4896

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Dick Smith Kits

That Altronics one is only 64 way (rows A&C only).

If it is indeed the DIN 41612 Eurocard connector you're looking for, in
wirewrap, try RS Electronics or Farnell.
Do a search in...
http://www.rsaustralia.com
and
http://au.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp

They are always good for that hard-to-find component - but you'll pay
top price for it. It'll be top quality too...

Cheers,

Peter S.

Re: Dick Smith Kits

Checked any of their shops or catalogs recently? They even sell vacuum
cleaners.

Re: Dick Smith Kits

    I thought it was interesting that on page 234 of their catalog, it says:

    "Dick Smith Electronics kits aren't toys, they're used in many of
the world's elite scientific research institutions including The Fermi
National Accelerator Laboratory, NASA and major aerospace manufacturers."

    Fairly remote from vacuum cleaners, but DSE's (= Woolworths)
management knows what's important and what isn't.

Re: Dick Smith Kits

Well the Silicon Chip ad says all kits %50 off.

"Limited Stock" *

* Which will not be renewed
The end is nigh for another chapter in Aus Electronics hobbying ;-)

- Rob.

Re: Dick Smith Kits

It's wrong then, I'm quite happy some are *more* than 50% off though. :-)
(some are less too if the web site is to be believed, and everything I
bought corresponded exactly, despite some not being marked down on the
shelf)

It's been happening at DSE for years, and frankly I don't think it's much
loss.
Looks like Jaycar and Altronics will still be doing kits, for now at least.
In fact, if it means the end of DSE developed kits taking up space in SC,
then it's probably a good thing :-)
(although there has been far less of that in recent years too, presumably as
they reduced their whole kit department)

MrT.

Re: Dick Smith Kits

They have your ESR meter kit for $25:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45c4813001749e342740c0a87f9c072c/Product/View/K7204

Dave :)

Re: Dick Smith Kits

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45c4813001749e342740c0a87f9c072c/Product/View/K7204

    That's the original 1996 version of the kit. They're also selling the
2004 version for the same price, see...
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45c4813001749e342740c0a87f9c072c/Product/View/K7214

    It raises two questions:
(1) Why are they flogging these kits at a price which must be well below
the cost of producing them?
(2) What are they doing with stocks of the kit which was superceded
about 3 years ago?

    DSE's become quite strange since Woolies took over and turned the
chain into a consumer-electronics-oriented version of Big W.

Bob

Re: Dick Smith Kits

Who knows, they are motivated by profit and now kits are no longer
profitable due to lack of demand. Hobbyists have long since ceased
to be significant for them, I'd say they'll get out of kits apart
from imported ones if you are lucky.

  FWIW I built a MKII this arvo and it worked fine, the kit is a very
good one and it's hard to go wrong with it: a good design and a good
implementation of the design.

Re: Dick Smith Kits

     Thanks for your positive feedback. :-)

Bob

Re: Dick Smith Kits

see...http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45c4813001749e342740c0a8 ...

Thanks Bob
I went in and nabbed an ESR Mk2 and a power supply kit (several models
available very cheaply), the last ones in-store at Blacktown.
Haven't bought a kit in at least a decade I think, quite nostalgic!
Can't believe the IC's in the ESR kit are still stuck in the al-foil
covered styrofoam!
Interestingly, the sales lady used to work in the kit department and
said that almost the entire kit department has been shut down and the
employees moved to other roles (no retrenchments apparently), only a
couple of people remain, presumably to mop up, or handle the non-
magazine kits.

Dave :)

Re: Dick Smith Kits

     Some things never change! :)

    That seems to confirm the speculation. Thanks to the 'wisdom' of
Woolies management, DSE kits are gunna be a thing of the past. We can
expect them to completely cease selling components next.
    Gary Johnstone (Jaycar) must be wringing his hands with glee (unless
DSE gets into the 'Choke-A-Chicken'/Coughing Ashtray market next!).

Cheers
Bob

Re: Dick Smith Kits

Yeap, the one good thing about Woolies is they don't believe in
retrenchments apparently. I found that out when they closed the Victorian
Service Centre down and landed a job in one of the stores.

Bet the WA Service Centre guys are happy about that too, seeing as they
closed it down back in Sept 06.

Mike

Re: Dick Smith Kits

Does the grinnig Dick have no say anymore ?

geoff

Re: Dick Smith Kits

    According to the Wikipedia thing at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Smith_Electronics :

Ultimately owned by Woolworths Limited

Key people     Alvin Ng (General Manager)
                 Dick Smith (until 1982)

    Which seems to mean that the answer to your question is "Not since
1982". :-(

Bob

Re: Dick Smith Kits

athttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Smith_Electronics :

Yes, even after 25 years we STILL get people going on about how DSE
has gone down hill since Dick himself left, as if it were yesterday,
or last week, or last month, or last year, or last decade!
*yawn*

Dave :)

Site Timeline