Dick Smith is no more - Page 2

Re: Dick Smith is no more

Do they still sell single resistors in shrink wrapped packaging?

Sylvia.

Re: Dick Smith is no more
--
PGP Key ID = 0x418487E7                      http://www.nick-andrew.net /
PGP Key fingerprint = B3ED 6894 8E49 1770 C24A  67E3 6266 6EB9 4184 87E7

Re: Dick Smith is no more

Selling packs of minimum 5 resistors somehow makes them "useless for
components" ?!!

"Useless for components" is don't list them, seldom have what you want in
stock.  What most people do if they want a resistor is get 5 or 10 and put
the rest in their component drawer/s for next time.  Unless the huge cost
outlay i stoo steep for you...

geoff.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

If memory serves me correctly, lack of stock variety was always Tandy's
biggest problem.
You could get some basic value resistors, some caps, maybe half a dozen
4000/7400 series chips if you wree lucky, a jiffy box and some LED's, and a
toggle switch or two for instance, but that was pretty much the extent of
their component stock 20-25 years ago.

For the average hobbyist I can remember it was, expecially when I was a kid.
If you had to buy a whole range of resistors or parts to finish a project,
Tandy was the most idiotic place to shop. Last time I shopped there for
components was closer to 25 years ago.

Dave.
Re: Dick Smith is no more

Small metal film and carbon resistors are so cheap that it is only
profitable to sell them in packs. That's how most electronics parts
retailers do it these days, including Jaycar. I don't mind paying
for a pack, it could save a trip to the shop sometime in the future
for that particular value!

Glenn.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

   Or worse: Making the trip to buy another, only to discover they are
out of stock.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

Have you been to Tandy 20 years ago? They used to sell 2 or 5 resistor pack for
2.50 or 3.50, same resistors were 10c or 20c (or maybe even 5c) each elsewhere.
Jaycar does 8 pack for 40c - 50c, that's slightly different. I don't mind packs,
recently bought 1000 pieces for a price of about 10-20 Tandy ones (if they still
stocked them).

Tom

Re: Dick Smith is no more

for 2.50 or 3.50, same resistors were 10c or 20c (or maybe even 5c) each
elsewhere. Jaycar does 8 pack for 40c - 50c, that's slightly different. I don't
mind packs, recently bought 1000 pieces for a price of about 10-20 Tandy ones
(if they still stocked them).

  They were 5 for 39 cents at Radio Shack in the US at that time.  That
was less than eight cents each, in stock, and the store had an overhead
they had to meet, every month.  The same resistors were six cents at the
local TV wholesale, and the place wasn't self serve.  You had to have a
business license stating you worked in electronics to buy there, as
well.

Re: Dick Smith is no more
 elsewhere. Jaycar does 8 pack for 40c - 50c, that's slightly different. I =
don't mind packs, recently bought 1000 pieces for a price of about 10-20 Ta=
ndy ones (if they still stocked them).

Yes, I first went to Tandy when they opened in Australia in the mid
1970's. I still have their first catalog somewhere in a box. I quickly
realised that many parts were junk quality and over priced compared to
Kitsets, Dick Smith, David Reid, Rod Irving etc.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

But surely you didn't leave without your 'battery club card' 9v battery
freebie!

Re: Dick Smith is no more

Hands up those who had more than one card! ;-)

Dave.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

In the end, I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

Anybody every pointed out that a peter parker is almost as funny as a
dicksmith ?

;-)

geoff

Re: Dick Smith is no more
what he still means  low life is that they sell more  consumer crap ,
radios, toys , phones etc.... now  than electronic components , then again
you wouldnt know cause you dont go into electronics stores  cause you dont
do electronics.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

Less and less though.  In NZ DS has been supplanted by Jaycar.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

When I saw your header, for a brief moment I thought you were the bearer of good
news.  But alas, ....

Re: Dick Smith is no more
I suspect the real reason is that Woolworth's paid a large annual figure
for the right to use his face.

Our local Tandy is just being rebadged to Dick Smiths
--
Remove norubbish to reply

Re: Dick Smith is no more

The new branding and store format for the consumer electronics division was
mentioned in the Woolworths half year results published in February.

"Consumer Electronics reported solid sales growth for the half year with
sales for the half year reaching $838.9 million, up 9.1% on last half year
and comparable store sales increasing by 5.8% (normalised for movements in
exchange rates)

Earlier this year we commenced a review of the positioning and ranging
within this business and having completed this review we have commenced
implementing a number of key findings from this strategic review.

These include:

Rollout of new format store: Results achieved in our new format Dick Smith
stores have been extremely pleasing reflecting strong customer acceptance of
the new refreshed offer.

Comparable sales growth in the 33 stores we have completed was well in
excess of the network. We plan to have 79 stores in this new format by the
end of this financial year.

Improvements to our range: As we did in BIG W, we have commenced
repositioning our range to be more relevant to the consumer.

New price promise: "Best price and you'll pay no more for the right advice"
builds on an existing strength being our product knowledge and expert advice
and re-enforces the value of our offering.

New Branding: we have commenced the rollout of a more contemporary logo and
signage across the business. The "Dick Smith - Talk to the Techxperts" logo
and signage has a more contemporary look and feel and is being rolled out
across our network.

Over the next two years we will transition out of the Powerhouse and Tandy
brands and consolidate under Dick Smith.

 Investment in our people: Improvements in recruitment, retention
initiatives, training and support for our people are underway. A new staff
training program focussed on sales techniques and customer service has
delivered genuine results ensuring our staff are trusted and knowledgeable.

Gross margins have declined 180 bps as we transition out of certain
categories and experience both changes in sales mix and a highly competitive
market. Costs remain well controlled with a modest increase of 3 bps.

29 Dick Smith Electronics stores and 3 Powerhouse stores were opened during
the half taking total stores to 433. Average inventory levels were up 0.2
days from than last year.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

I know what a blacksmith does and I know what a silversmith does and I know
what a locksmith does.
I have heard of coppersmiths, gunsmiths and goldsmiths, and I can imagine
what they do, too.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

Dicksmith in my town was right next to Locksmith.  I though I was the only
one who had drawn the 'connection'.

geoff

Site Timeline