Dick Smith is no more

"AFTER a period of less than inspiring sales figures, retail chain Dick
Smith has lost face - Dick Smith's face, that is."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25565118-2,00.html

I know that Dick hasn't been involved with these stores for 20 years or
so but it's still a bit sad.
I can remember shopping at his first store at Gore Hill in the days he
used to serve behind the counter. In the days when they still sold
electronic components.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

"Geoff Steer"

**  Dick Smith stores still sell electronic components  -  dickhead.

If the news story is to be believed  -  the new Woolworth's bred marketing
manager, Brent Allan, is less than a half wit.

Quote:
"I was the man who removed the face," Allan says.

"The head was very old and daggy.

 I didn't have any reason to keep it.

And Electronics meant jugs, kettles and stuff. "

Brent must be the same congenital fuckwit who came up with:

" Talk to the Techxperts "

Infuriates the hell out of the staff every time they see it.

Peeeeeukkkkkeeeeeee.............

.....   Phil

Re: Dick Smith is no more

  A far cry from what the Joe Average enthusiast would call electronic
components.  All but the powerhouse stores had their shelves cleared of
components to make way for Jugs.  And not the good kind of jugs either.

  And even then the powerhouse stores are lacking.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Dick Smith is no more

At least one of the non-powerhouse stores have now lost their electronic
components - Chatswood Westfield. Not that it makes much difference,
because their stock control had gone to hell.

I was told by the sales assistant that the "Powerhouse" distinction is
dead now anyway.

Sylvia.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

At Broadmeadows Vic, they have their new "Techxperts" big store, and a
normal store that has been there for years. I can't see this lasting
long at all.

They dropped their Tandy shop several months ago.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Dick Smith is no more

   Dick Smith Mulgrave Road Cairns closed recently I heard, I haven't
been there for over 6 months as a new Jaycar opened across the road from
them and it wasn't worth the effort any longer: they haven't had 10K
resistors for 4 years now as their computer said they had heaps in
stock when there was none on the shelves: way too many examples of poor
stock control.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

You mean there were no 2.7 ohm resistors in the 10K drawer, even ....

geoff

Re: Dick Smith is no more

Dang it - I was after some 2.7 ohm the other day, and there were
apparently none. It didn't occur to me to check the 10K drawer.

Sylvia.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

Hell - you could have found them anywhere /everywhere.  Except the right
drawer !

geoff

Re: Dick Smith is no more

    Would have made a good comedy sketch

Re: Dick Smith is no more
please stop , this is getting REAL funny !!

Re: Dick Smith is no more
 ha, ha,   classic  !!!!!!!

Re: Dick Smith is no more
I guess Brent must have a shiny suit an an MBA to come up with such
insightful reasoning.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

Sounds like he hasn't even visited a store.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

Or did. I went into Brisbane store today to buy a fuse holder and they
were packing up all the components, plugs, sockets etc. into boxes.
Not sure what they were doing, but I can only guess

Re: Dick Smith is no more

I've long wondered why Dick Smith even stock electronic components. It's
hard to imagine they make a profit from them, particularly when their
failed stock control results in the consumption of significant staff
time for customers who only wanted to spend a dollar or two, and
probably end up not spending even that.

Sylvia.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

Originally it was a condition of sale of the chain from Mr Dick, that they
maintain electronic component sales.

Since then it has drifted from goodwill and service, to grudging, to now
'marginal'.  Maybe they should rename to Dick Smith Appliances and be done
with it.....

If I was Dick I'd be suing them for misuse of his good (albeit slightly
nerdy) name.

geoff

Re: Dick Smith is no more
says...

You know exactly what he means, you bipolar, flat dwelling, empty shell
that you are.

Re: Dick Smith is no more
geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz says...

I'm not sure what purpose DS serves these days. May as well go to
Retravison or Hardly's. I'm sure DS (and probably Tandy as well) are in
their final years of existence.

Re: Dick Smith is no more

Tandy was already useless over 10 years ago. They have been owned by DSE
for a while now, so it isn't hard to figure out what their purpose is...

Regards,

Ross..

Site Timeline