Dick Smith Exposed

** From the SMH:

Dick Smith and other retailers exposed for selling returned items as new.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/used-sold-as-new-dick-smith-says-it-wouldnt-happen-if-he-was-in-charge-20111223-1p890.html

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/exposed-new-dick-smith-hard-drive-full-of-pirated-movies-20111222-1p6eh.html

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/new-goods-scandal--more-stores-accused-20111223-1p80h.html

Anyone who has ever had anything to do with retailing knows that any item
returned in presentable condition goes right back on the shelf. That is why
retailers will not accept damaged items for return nor items with no
packaging.

DSEs famous 7 or 14 day " satisfaction guarantee" was all about doing just
this.

But with digital storage media, the subsequent owner can be in for a nasty
surprise ...

It ain't happed to me, but I have been sold faulty valves and transistors
where I was certainly not the first owner.

...  Phil

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

A lot more of this in Whirlpool forums I noticed too.

Im not really surprised at this, and I don't think it would be limited
to Dick Smith either.

As for your case with valves and transistors, it could also apply to
kits.

IIRC years ago, when you bought a kit from Dick Smith, you would be
able to return it for a refund if, once getting it home, opening it
and looking at what was involved, you didnt feel confident you could
build it and hadn't started construction.

If there were IC's involved, and they were not handled with static
safe methods before being returned, you could end up with a faulty
kit, if you were the next owner of one of these returned kits.

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

Just as a BTW the Dick Smith "satisfaction guarantee" is gone. Now they
only exchange as required by law.

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

What an unfortunate subject title (shudder).

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

"Exposed Dick" ?!!!

Surely the man hiumself should sue Woolworths to take his face off
everything, as they now do zero of what his chain was originally about.

Unless he has no pride.

geoff

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

"geoff"

** Dick sold his name and the " Dick face "  logo to Woollies for a tidy
sum - you know.

For a while time in the 70s, delivery vans had the Dick face logo on the
back with the words:

" The Electronic Dick "

 in large, black letters.

...   Phil

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

I know what a silversmith does and I have seen a locksmith at work.
But a Dick Smith?

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

A Japanese legend has it that a demon with sharp teeth had hidden in the
vagina of a girl, and had successively castrated two young men during
their wedding night. A blacksmith fashioned an iron phallus to break the
teeth of the devil, and the subject became a holy relic. A Dick Smith?

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

In Porirua there was a Dick Smith right next to a LockSmith. Nice signs and
all.

geoff

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

What about the Yellow Pages ad which listed Dick Jones cleaning
service as Jones Dick cleaning service?

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

His moniker is likely to be part of the business assets, Mr Smith probably
has no further say in the matter.

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

When you see him unashamedly spruiking for the Woolies group about how
great they are and are as pure as the driven snow, it shows quite
clearly what side he is on - at the same time rubbishing Aldi, who
through their much better pricing on many items are probably doing a
lot to keep food on the table in many low income households.

He seems not to be concered about how his "heroes" treat their
suppliers, or what they have done to small businesses over the years
either.  Ironic, since he started out small himself.

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

What Dick used to do was sell you resistors that with a 98% profit
margin and tantalum's with an 86% margin*. Then he got on TV to complain
how IKEA was ripping of Australians

* my very first job was as a salesman at DSE Chermside.
--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

Strange how they always see their own worst faults in others isnt
it ?   Never been to Ikea, so dont know what their pricing is like.

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

Really? How much would your mark up be if you'd have to re-package a
penny article and sell it in retail quantities, keeping it on stock over
years? Keep in mind you have to make a profit.

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

Not saying that it is wrong, illegal or unjustified, just that if he
is going to do it, then he shouldn't
knock others who do it.

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

He didn't have to make a profit on sales of each resistor, only on the
business overall. If DSE decided not to sell resistors because selling
them one or two at a time was not profitable, then he would have found
less people coming in for the profitable items.

But before you make those criticisms. Dick Smith used to pride itself on
being on of the countries *20* *most* *profitable* business so they were
raking it in hand-over-fist. The only things they didn't have big
margins on were brand name items like their TEAC amp, Weller and Scope
soldering irons.

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

It's totally up to a business owner if he wants to make a loss in one
area to gain business in other.  Or would you have preferred a minimum
order quantity of 1000? Maybe that's just not a good example for mark-ups.

Profitable can also mean that the business is run more efficiently than
others. Or that they pay less in wholesale. The retail price depends
very much on the demand and the competition. I can't judge DS cause I
don't know any details.

There are, however, a few strange things happening in Aussie retail.
Why ARE Ikea bits so much cheaper in other countries?
How come we pay so much more for cars than Americans, e.g.?
Why is much of the electronic goods here yesterday's technology?
All things that must have a reason I don't know. Maybe you do?

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

"TonyS"

** DSE only began to go well when a wholesale division was set up to *
import nearly everything* in the shops. It started with CB radios and then
components, gadgets, phones and computers.

It meant DSE was competing with virtually nobody and his retail margins were
very high.

** The markets there will not tolerate higher prices.

Manufacturers everywhere try to set the prices in each country they sell
into to suit the local market -  in some places sales volumes are high and
the margins are small and in other places it's the opposite.

With famous brand products - the foreign manufacturer sets the price and the
local importers have little say.

...   Phil

Re: Dick Smith Exposed

The good old days.

Now they are a company that sells items that everyone else sells, such
as phones,
cameras, computers, tv's, basic hifi systems and so on.

At our local DS, they have got within a short distance Harvey Norman,
Good Guys etc who (here)
sell most of the DSE range, as well as others such as Officeworks and
Telstra, Optus etc mobile phone dealers who
also compete with them on some of DS's items such as computers,
cameras and mobile phones.

In other words, what was once a store that was fairly unique back then
is now is "just another consumer electronics" store and are subject to
heavy competition in most of their lines.   While I'm not saying that
sticking to the traditional DSE format would have raked in huge
profits, I do think that those who did still go there to buy
components or similar, (and don't now) may also have liked or needed
other things that they see while in there and made an impulse
purchase.  It may also have been the preferred place to buy that TV,
PC etc as they were used to going there in the first place, know what
they stock, know the staff, know where the store is etc.

How much of a factor this was in the real world of retail I have no
idea, but Im sure (I hope) it was considered before deciding to dump
the component range.

Now they just go anywhere - like everyone else.

Site Timeline