Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

I caught the end of some doco on ABC tonight about Tricky Dick Smith.
They were filming him working in his office and he was showing how he
didn't need nor use a computer, and dictated all his stuff to the
secretary. He demonstrated this by reading a memo into the dictation
machine something along the lines of "To Gary Johnston. I am not happy
with a 30% margin and am looking for 40%" or something to that effect.

Could be some other Gary Johnston of course, or he could have just
made it up on the spot, but I thought it was a pretty co-incidental
name.

Anyone know?

BTW, he mentioned that DSE now a billion dollars turnover, and that he
would love to see DSE be around long after he's gone.

Dave.

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

But I thought he was now into peanut paste and choccy biscuits :-)

--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

"David L. Jones"

**  Gary Johnston used to work for Dick

 -  he was Dick's  NSW  manager.

 Dick taught Gary  "everything he knows"

 before Gary turned traitor    ......

.......   Phil

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

Says who?
Where's your proof Toaster Boi?

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

Was that before or after the yank joined him and stopped him going
broke? I'm just wondering who taught whom what.

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

Gary Johnston  =    Philanthropist ??

http://www.unsw.edu.au/news/pad/articles/2006/apr/water_chair.html

Shame,  its all a wet dream  .....

http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/guide/opinions/opindex.html

Maybe Gary should try towing " icebergs "  into Sydney harbour next ?

Dick can show him how to do that,  too.

......   Phil

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

"Phil Allison"

**  Fact is   -

Gary Johnston was  ON  BOARD  the infamous Dick Smith iceberg,  as it came
through Sydney Harbour.

April 1st,   1978.

......   Phil

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

putting that another way, I'd like to see him gone before DSE - and I'd like
*that* to be sooner rather than later.

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

WHY ?

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

Indeed. What's wrong with Tricky?

Dave.

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

something to do with his contribution to spectrum anarchy, followed by his
"contributions" to aviation in Australia - which are regrettably ongoing.

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

"Mike Paull"

**  In fact "Jaycar "  already existed  -  as the trading name of John Carr
& Co.

A small components and audio kit with a shop in a secluded lane in the back
of Haymarket in Sydney.

Remember the ETI  8 channel "Master Mixer" and the ETI  100 watt " brick "
power amp  ??

I was a regular customer of that " Jaycar "  back in the early/ mid 1970s.

Well,  GJ bought the business and closed up the Haymarket shop.

Set up HIS first *cheap and cheerful*  components shop in Clarence Street in
Sydney.

Stocked with mostly surplus parts.

Euphemism for junk.

Set a trend  -   that did.

.......   Phil

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

. . .

Secluded lane? I remember them being in Sussex street.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

"Andy Wood"

**  Yes.

**  Only much later,  with GJ as the owner.

.......   Phil

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

. . .

They were at 405 Sussex street as far back as 1979. Wikipedia says GJ
became owner in 1981.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

"Andy Wood"
 "Phil Allison"

** Replacing the MISSING context and MISSING parts of quotes:

" **  In fact "Jaycar "  already existed  -  as the trading name of John
Carr
& Co.

A small components and audio kit with a shop in a secluded lane in the back
of Haymarket in Sydney.

Remember the ETI  8 channel "Master Mixer" and the ETI  100 watt " brick "
power amp  ??

I was a regular customer of that " Jaycar "  back in the early/ mid 1970s. "

**  So no conflict with my story,  which relates to the " early / mid  70s.
"

.......   Phil

Re: Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

True, no conflict with your original story.  However your subsequent
claim that they were only in Sussex street later with GJ as owner is
false (unless  the date of 1981 given by Wikipedia for the takeover is
wrong).

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

This is Interesting ....

"Phil Allison"

**  A simple ASIC search turned up this:

http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?acn00%0_087_347&juris=9&hdtextAC%N&srchsrc=1

John Carr and Co Pty Ltd ( originally incorporated in June 1950 !! ) morphed
into Electus Distribution Pty Ltd.

.......   Phil

Site Timeline