Dick Smith doing business with Jaycar's Gary Johnston?

I caught the end of some doco on ABC tonight about Tricky Dick Smith. They were filming him working in his office and he was showing how he didn't need nor use a computer, and dictated all his stuff to the secretary. He demonstrated this by reading a memo into the dictation machine something along the lines of "To Gary Johnston. I am not happy with a 30% margin and am looking for 40%" or something to that effect.

Could be some other Gary Johnston of course, or he could have just made it up on the spot, but I thought it was a pretty co-incidental name.

Anyone know?

BTW, he mentioned that DSE now a billion dollars turnover, and that he would love to see DSE be around long after he's gone.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

But I thought he was now into peanut paste and choccy biscuits :-)

--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P
Reply to

"David L. Jones"

** Gary Johnston used to work for Dick

- he was Dick's NSW manager.

Dick taught Gary "everything he knows"

before Gary turned traitor ......

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Says who? Where's your proof Toaster Boi?

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Gary Johnston = Philanthropist ??

Shame, its all a wet dream .....

Maybe Gary should try towing " icebergs " into Sydney harbour next ?

Dick can show him how to do that, too.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison"

** Fact is -

Gary Johnston was ON BOARD the infamous Dick Smith iceberg, as it came through Sydney Harbour.

April 1st, 1978.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

putting that another way, I'd like to see him gone before DSE - and I'd like

*that* to be sooner rather than later.
Reply to
feckim

WHY ?

Reply to
kreed

Indeed. What's wrong with Tricky?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

something to do with his contribution to spectrum anarchy, followed by his "contributions" to aviation in Australia - which are regrettably ongoing.

Reply to
feckim

"Mike Paull"

** In fact "Jaycar " already existed - as the trading name of John Carr & Co.

A small components and audio kit with a shop in a secluded lane in the back of Haymarket in Sydney.

Remember the ETI 8 channel "Master Mixer" and the ETI 100 watt " brick " power amp ??

I was a regular customer of that " Jaycar " back in the early/ mid 1970s.

Well, GJ bought the business and closed up the Haymarket shop.

Set up HIS first *cheap and cheerful* components shop in Clarence Street in Sydney.

Stocked with mostly surplus parts.

Euphemism for junk.

Set a trend - that did.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Was that before or after the yank joined him and stopped him going broke? I'm just wondering who taught whom what.

Reply to
Terryc

. . .

Secluded lane? I remember them being in Sussex street.

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

"Andy Wood"

** Yes.

** Only much later, with GJ as the owner.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

. . .

They were at 405 Sussex street as far back as 1979. Wikipedia says GJ became owner in 1981.

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

"Andy Wood" "Phil Allison"

** Replacing the MISSING context and MISSING parts of quotes:

" ** In fact "Jaycar " already existed - as the trading name of John Carr & Co.

A small components and audio kit with a shop in a secluded lane in the back of Haymarket in Sydney.

Remember the ETI 8 channel "Master Mixer" and the ETI 100 watt " brick " power amp ??

I was a regular customer of that " Jaycar " back in the early/ mid 1970s. "

** So no conflict with my story, which relates to the " early / mid 70s. "

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

True, no conflict with your original story. However your subsequent claim that they were only in Sussex street later with GJ as owner is false (unless the date of 1981 given by Wikipedia for the takeover is wrong).

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

"Phil Allison"

** A simple ASIC search turned up this:

John Carr and Co Pty Ltd ( originally incorporated in June 1950 !! ) morphed into Electus Distribution Pty Ltd.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison