Dick Smith Disco Strobe light problem

I got the kit and made the disco strobe light. Turned it on and its flashing
away happily. Then as the book suggests I slowly start turning the variable
resistor to adjust the timing and I hear a pop sound, now nothing works.

I have had a look and there are no marks or burns of pop caps or anything. I
have tested pretty much every component and it is ok, the one exception is
the hand wound transformer. When I made the transformer I accidentally
snapped the wire in the 3rd winding, so I solded them back together and kept
winding. This is on the 3rd winding which is 200 turns onto the flash tube.
The other windings are 3 turns and 20 turns. What sort of resistance should
I expect to see across this kind of transformer if anyone has the kit? I am
getting 5 ohm on the 200 turn (I am guessing this has shorted) and 4k ohm on
the 20 turn...

Will probably unwide it and have a look but its a bastard to unsolder and
solder back onto the two pcb boards...

Re: Dick Smith Disco Strobe light problem

? 4Kohm on 20 turns sounds extreme to me.

Assuming the flash tube hasn't carked it from too high a discharge rate,
(without knowing the details of the DSE kit) the most likely failure candidates
are the DC-DC converter driver and the transformer if it is user-wound.

If you have a steady hand and a decent multimeter, check out the voltage across
the HV cap.  If that's in the 300V+ region the DC-DC is good.  Double check this
is at the xenon tube.  DON'T go poking around the trigger transformer with power
atatched - pulses are typically 4KV or more, and can get your attention real
fast.

Re: Dick Smith Disco Strobe light problem

"DAC"

**  Which kit is a that ??

  The  "Beat Triggered Strobe" ?

**  Now you have me worried.

 What DSE strobe kit used a hand made tranny ?

 The pulse tranny is a cheap item supplied with the kit.

.......   Phil

Re: Dick Smith Disco Strobe light problem

Its called "Disco Strobe Light" K3155. There is a hand wound transformer, 3
windings, of 3, 10 and 200 turns.

Re: Dick Smith Disco Strobe light problem

"DAC"

** That kit seems to be one of  DSE's  own designs  -  it has not appeared
in the catalogue for several years.

    However, DSE sell trigger transformers for less than $1.

Re: Dick Smith Disco Strobe light problem

:-8   a friend of mine brought this and asked me to put it together. Turns
out DSE charged him 150$+ for the kit. Also its definatly the tube that has
blown, after about 1 minute of use.... going to take this back, especially
since some NZ stores are stilling this kit online in at dse.co.nz for less
than 50$.    The trigger transformer is not the one that is you have to sell
wind, that transformer is only really little. This circuit has a much bigger
transformer to produce the 500V (or whatever it is)

Site Timeline