Dick Smith? - Page 2

Re: Dick Smith?

I heard of a guy making cryptography gear. I think the Gov't response
was to ban him from selling to certain countries and buy American
equipment several magnitudes larger and less portable with built in back
doors.

Most defense electronics I worked on in the late nineties was a mix of
English, American, Australian and a tiny bit of Japanese.

Re: Dick Smith?

I miss McGraths in Little Lonsdale ;)  Back when I lived in Melbourne.

Grant.

Re: Dick Smith?

If you remember McGraths, then you may remember the surplus electronic gear shop
right opposite also.

Anyone remember the name of the man that ran the surplus shop, and what happened
to him?

Cheers Don...

=====================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Dick Smith?

shop right opposite also.

Opposite, or was there another one further down the street, or both?

And there was another shop around the area with a little mechanical
man banging on the window with a toy hammer, to get one's attention.

happened to him?

Can't remember the name, I bought some copper plated carbon rods from
there (I imagine carbon arc lamp electrodes) when I was 16 or so, so
much stuff in those little shops :)

Grant.

Re: Dick Smith?

shop right opposite also.
happened to him?

It was Jock Ellis.
He had a whole heap of Army surplus radio and other similar gear, typical of
WWII era, and later.

In later years, he then moved into Lonsale St, and became Ellistronics. Had a
big warehouse in Springvale Rd, and even
started up a branch in NZ.

He was a lot older than me, so I dare say he has gone to heaven by now. His shop
is now Tecs PCs I believe.

I haven't been in the city for 10+ years, so I have lost track of all of them.

Cheers Don...

=============

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Dick Smith?

I used to love those surplus shops as a kid, my room was full of bits of
old aeroplanes and WWII army radio gear. The thing that I really wanted
though was a Lancaster bombsight computer. It was a box full of
beautiful little motors, shafts, and gears, but they cost 2 quid and my
parents wouldn't give me the money for one no matter how much I showed
off :(

Re: Dick Smith?

aeroplanes and WWII army radio gear. The
box full of beautiful little motors,
money for one no matter how much I showed

Australia ended up with the later variant Lincoln bomber in the RAAF just after
WWII. I had a ride in one just before
they scrapped them. So I'll almost bet it was a Lincoln bombsite labeled as a
Lancaster. The average Joe didn't know the
difference. Very fancy for their time. My wage was 3 and a half quid in those
days, so two quid was a fair chunk of cash
for mum and dad to find. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Lincoln

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Dick Smith?

No this was in the UK, they scrapped several thousand Lancs after the
war. There was a street in London, Tottenham Court Road that was lined
with surplus shops. The best was Henrys it was just an empty shop with
tea chests of stuff scattered around, you just fossicked through and
took your finds to Mr Henry who made up a price on the spot (subject to
some bargaining). You never knew what you'd find. Last time I saw the
place it was a HiFi shop, no where near as interesting.

I saw one of the two last flying Lancs at a museum in Canada a few years
ago, they fired it up while we were there and flew it off to the
beautiful sound of 4 Merlins. If you ever visit Toronto, go down to
Hamilton on the way to Niagara you won't regret it.

Re: Dick Smith?

There was a street in London, Tottenham Court
empty shop with tea chests of stuff scattered
a price on the spot (subject to some
a HiFi shop, no where near as interesting.
they fired it up while we were there and
down to Hamilton on the way to Niagara

I was in Tronto (local pronunciation :-) ) a couple of years back, didn't
realize that had a running Lanc near there. A
site to behold I'm sure. Long time since I heard 4 Merlins running at once. For
me, perhaps 1956-57 I would think.

Cheers Don...

=============================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Dick Smith?

You Beat me to it Old Fella....

I thought I was the only bugger left alive that remebered him and his
little shop..

My favourite was the 2n5088 a direct replacement transistor to the BC108
but in a TO92 case instead of the metal can..  about 1/10 the price.

I really miss the old Jock Ellis shop..  Used to catch the train in just
the browse around there..  If I couldnt get what I wanted I would then
have to go to McGraths to pay a lot more for what I needed.

RaRa 5x

=8-)

Re: Dick Smith?

shop..
in a TO92 case instead of the metal can..
browse around there.. If I couldnt get what
needed.

a few remember him Mick,
I think if you google "Jock Ellis" and McGraths, mainly in the aus.electronics
group, there are a few mentions of them.

I remember building my first analogue multi-meter out of surplus parts scrounged
from Jock. If I recall, I had to go to
McGraths to get the 1% resistors. :-) But Jock had some great gear in those days.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Dick Smith?

Same!

I used to spend hours at a time in there as a teenager.
Probably still have some of the parts I bought too.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Dick Smith?

Snip>
So do I.
My wife used to cal it "the fruit-loaf-tin place".

Re: Dick Smith?

Too right, and the staff actually knew what they were selling!
It was a bygone age though, doesn't seem the kids learn how to use a
soldering iron any more.

MrT.

Re: Dick Smith?

Radio Parts up on Spencer St was also a 'must visit' when in town,
back in the 70's.  Kitsets Aust. was another common haunt.
At least I now have Jaycar, Altronics and Rockby within 20mins of
where I live.

G.

Re: Dick Smith?

Lot's of good disposals stores then that don't exist any more either.

Lucky you, Springvale seems to be well catered for, not so many other areas.
Radio Parts in Carnegie was a LONG drive for me, but at least they had many
items. Now that has gone too unfortunately.

MrT.

Re: Dick Smith?

I do, there IS now a shortage of local component suppliers, especially if
you can't wait days for the post.

far

Nor argument, but just because the reduction in people who know how to use a
soldering iron has lead to that situation, doesn't mean we have to like it.
And one things for sure, there is *FAR* LESS of a shortage of household
electrical box movers!

MrT.

Site Timeline