Diamond DVD Player DVD-101d problem.

DVD Player with a problem.  It worked and died recently, although I do not
know if it was intermittent to start with.
Symptoms:
When I try to load up a DVD cd it sits there all day with LO on the display
If I put a cleaning disk in it will accept this and with this particular DVD
cleaning disk it has video instructions on the DVD (wierd).
It accepts CD's with mp3 files.
I have checked the dc power lines and they look fine (regulated and no
ripple).
All electro's are physically okay, no bulging tops (as per those Jap
electros that got out a few years back).
I have cleaned the laser lens and it is okay as well, although I don't see
any up/down focussing movement which I expect on some of the later DVD
players (this is 2000 vintage I believe).
I do not have schematics for this unit so I have pretty well exhausted the
visual clues.

Apart from using it as an mp3 player any suggestions?

I understand you can buy this type of DVD player for about the $40.00 mark
but to be honest I do believe in spending my time to see if I can fix it,
more the challenge if you like.

Regards,
Hu

Re: Diamond DVD Player DVD-101d problem.

Put in Wheelie bin and buy a new Unit...
Why would you even think about fixing crap like this...???
its over 8 years old. at a guess i would say your DVD laser or spindle motor
has failed..
Not worth even getting a quote...

Re: Diamond DVD Player DVD-101d problem.

I just hate simply throwing out this sort of stuff if it is a simple fix.
You're right it isn't worth fixing based on the cost of my time.

It does work with mp3 cds so the basic laser/reader unit is functioning.

It does rotate freely and at the high speed expected for a dvd player but
doesn't recognise any dvd.

I stripped out an old laser head from a cd player to see how this works.
Interesting to say the least -

Laser shines onto an optical reflector to illuminate the cd surface.
The reflected light is focussed by the lense passing through the optical
reflector to a light sensor.
This focal point is adjusted by a moving coil like that in a loudspeaker.
Because laser generates coherent light it is inherently always in focus in
this arrangement and so the adjustment is really to maximise the available
signal on the detector.

Kinda suggests that if this focus mechanism was jamming due to maybe
cockroach eggs then an attempt to clean it is worth a few minutes.

I have salvaged another dvd player by replacing a dud electro, felt good.

I do appreciate your feedback Allan.

Regards,

Hu

Posted at www.Usenet.com.au

Re: Diamond DVD Player DVD-101d problem.

    If it's got SMD electrolytic caps in it, they're a prime suspect.
Also electrolytics don't have to be visibly bulging or leaking to be
past their use-by date and causing all kinds of weird problems.
    There are lots of circuits on the net for checking them
electrically, e.g. at http://octopus.freeyellow.com/99.html
    As Alan said, lasers and motors have a limited life expectancy too.
You'd have to be pretty keen to fix it rather than replace it.
    If you decide to persevere, good luck!

Bob

Re: Diamond DVD Player DVD-101d problem.
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your feedback.  Since the unit plays mp3 cds the basic unit
appears to work okay save for dvds not being recognised.  Scoping the dc
supplies show no appreciable ripple that would suggest problems with
electros.

If I fix it I will post the solution.

Hu

Posted at www.Usenet.com.au

Re: Diamond DVD Player DVD-101d problem.

    I hope you do find the problem and fix it. I've just finished
resoldering the bad joints causing the latest problems in my 1975 model
Toshiba C-810 TV, so I also like to keep old gear working if I possibly can.

    SMD electrolytics cause problems in circuitry other than power
supplies. Just something to keep in mind. :)

Bob

Site Timeline