device to pulse electicty.

Hard to explain what I want, but I will try. Just imagine 10 electro magnets all in a line and all I want to do is put charge into each electro magnet one after another, but to it really really fast, to where it is like pulseing alone the line, don't ask why I want to do this its just top secret :)

I would like a way to speed up the pulse and slow it down and even increase the power to the electro magnets, which I think is the easy part :)

I was just wondering if there was any of the shelf kits i could use to do this, even if they ar enot really for this purpose, which would be great as i am not any good with electonics, though if forced I think I would have to try :)

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Obsidion

So you're making a coil gun?

James

Reply to
James

Sounds like the linear motor in a Maglev train

Reply to
chinsta00

Not really. Try searching for "coil gun", "rail gun", "maglev train", or any other such device that uses this technology.

More likely to be a maglev train then.

try adding the word "kit" or "schematic" to the above terms.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

**Look up:

'Ring counter' or 'Ring counter'.

Good luck with your "top secret" coil gun.

Just be careful.

Trevor Wilson

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

snip>

I had a teacher in 1949 who made such a gun. This was before transistors. He made the first one to use 120V A.C. and the second one to discharge a series of capacitors. Both guns simply used a spring-loaded, oil-damped rotary contact maker, a little like the old telephone uniselector, to energise a series of coils around a quarter-inch brass tube. I think he found that four coils were adequate. There was a fearsome amount of mathematics involved in order to activate the coils at the right time, and the spring tension and the oil damping were the best he could do to approximate what was required. It fired a half-inch long piece of quarter-inch mild steel through a wooden door. The maths would now be the same, but the execution using a PIC processor, or some simple board driven from a parallel port, programmed in the most rudimentary BASIC, would be a doddle. Let us hope the OP doesn't have the patience to follow it through.

Reply to
L.A.T.

Its not a rail gun or mag lev I want to build, its top secret :)

Reply to
Obsidion

**Whoops. That, of course, would be: Ring counter or shift register.

Trevor Wilson

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Yeah, yeah, I am sure it's not a rail gun but it sure sounds like one :)

Reply to
Moses Lim

He could also consider using a 4017 with the last output gating the clock pulses.

Note to OP: Don't ask your local jeweller where to get a ring counter from, because he won't know what you're talking about.

Reply to
Bob Parker

He would lead him over to the ring counter...

Reply to
Suzy

Wouldn't that be counterproductive?

Reply to
Bob Parker

But, being a radio man, he would display counterpoise under the circumstances

Reply to
Suzy

If he was polite, he'd give at least a half wave ... even if that seems counterintuitive.

Reply to
Bob Parker

The impedent fellow is resisting your advances.

Reply to
Fun Tyme