device to pulse electicty.

Hard to explain what I want, but I will try. Just imagine 10 electro
magnets all in a line and all I want to do is put charge into each
electro magnet one after another, but to it really really fast, to
where it is like pulseing alone the line, don't ask why I want to do
this its just top secret :)

I would like a way to speed up the pulse and slow it down and even
increase the power to the electro magnets, which I think is the easy
part :)

I was just wondering if there was any of the shelf kits i could use to
do this, even if they ar enot really for this purpose, which would be
great as i am not any good with electonics, though if forced I think I
would have to try :)

Thanks for any help.

Re: device to pulse electicty.

So you're making a coil gun?

James

Re: device to pulse electicty.

Sounds like the linear motor in a Maglev train

Re: device to pulse electicty.

Not really.
Try searching for "coil gun", "rail gun", "maglev train", or any other
such device that uses this technology.

More likely to be a maglev train then.

try adding the word "kit" or "schematic" to the above terms.

Dave.

Re: device to pulse electicty.

**Look up:

'Ring counter' or 'Ring counter'.

Good luck with your "top secret" coil gun.

Just be careful.

Trevor Wilson

Re: device to pulse electicty.

snip>
I had a teacher in 1949 who made such a gun. This was before transistors. He
made the first one to use 120V A.C. and the second one to discharge a series
of capacitors.
Both guns simply used a spring-loaded, oil-damped rotary contact maker, a
little like the old telephone uniselector, to energise a series of coils
around a quarter-inch brass tube. I think he found that four coils were
adequate.
There was a fearsome amount of mathematics involved in order to activate the
coils at the right time, and the spring tension and the oil damping were the
best he could do to approximate what was required. It fired a half-inch long
piece of quarter-inch mild steel through a wooden door.
The maths would now be the same, but the execution using a PIC processor, or
some simple board driven from a parallel port, programmed in the most
rudimentary BASIC, would be a doddle.
Let us hope the OP doesn't have the patience to follow it through.

Re: device to pulse electicty.

Its not a rail gun or mag lev I want to build, its top secret :)

Re: device to pulse electicty.

Yeah, yeah, I am sure it's not a rail gun but it sure sounds like one :)

Re: device to pulse electicty.

**Whoops. That, of course, would be: Ring counter or shift register.

Trevor Wilson

Re: device to pulse electicty.

    He could also consider using a 4017 with the last output gating the
clock pulses.

    Note to OP: Don't ask your local jeweller where to get a ring
counter from, because he won't know what you're talking about.

Re: device to pulse electicty.

He would lead him over to the ring counter...

Re: device to pulse electicty.

    Wouldn't that be counterproductive?

Re: device to pulse electicty.

But, being a radio man, he would display counterpoise under the
circumstances

Re: device to pulse electicty.

    If he was polite, he'd give at least a half wave ... even if that
seems counterintuitive.

Re: device to pulse electicty.

The impedent fellow is resisting your advances.

Site Timeline