Deep cycle batteries - Page 2

Re: Deep cycle batteries

snip

Another question:
The battery charger I use is from Jaycar, charges four batteries at a time,
and has LEDs to show when the cells are charging and when they are charged.
It also has a sort of bar-graph to show the state of charge.
If I wait until the LEDs and the bar-graph show that the C-cells are fully
charged, and then disconnect the charger, wait a minute or two and
re-connect the charger, it tells me that all the cells are half-charged and
takes about an hour to show full charge again. And again if I do the same
thing immediately.
Is this a faulty charger, dud batteries, or just the way things are?
In other words, are the cells fully charged the first time, or are they more
charged the second or third time? Or are they never more than half-charged?
They sure don't last very long whatever I do.

Re: Deep cycle batteries

I have a charger that does 1, 2 or 4 batteries.  It stops charging when there is
a sudden change in charge current.  That could be when one of the 4 batteries
reaches full charge.  I had the same problem as you and now have better results
charging one battery at a time.

HTH
Gordon

Re: Deep cycle batteries

is

  Note chargers go both ways, and could do what your charger does and place
two batteries in series, and charges them as a set.  Others have an individual
charger circuit for each battery.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Deep cycle batteries

Which capacity one are they?

aps if there is only one. I was looking a NiMH AA replacement and wondering
which of the almost dozen different capacities would be safe with my
recharger.

Sounds like one of their high capacity 6V SLA and matching charger would
probably suit you,

Re: Deep cycle batteries
what state are you in?if in victoria go to Truscots in croydon they have
deep cycle ex medical industry batteries.very cheap

Re: Deep cycle batteries
[snip]

Does anyone know a similar shop in Perth?

Tony

Re: Deep cycle batteries

Quite possibly a car battery will be cheaper. If you buy a bigger battery
then you won't need to discharge it fully.

Re: Deep cycle batteries

If its going to be left out in the bush for 48 hours, It  would be
worth considering the temperature extremes that it will be subjected
to day and night also. If this is going to be a problem, a small esky
might help.

Re: Deep cycle batteries

Err, IME, exkies only work if there is something inside them as a cold
sink. Poly brocolli boxes from the vege shop would be cheaper and
better insulation.

Re: Deep cycle batteries

I strongly doubt that you could fully discharge them, if you wanted to get
maximum life(cycles) from the. The Bill Harden(?) FAQ on lead acid
batteries that is floating around the et recommends 50% max or
shallower.

I also doubt that any modern battery (could be fully discharged either due
to risk of cell reversal.

To cut to the chase, you can get deep-discharge 6v lead acid batteries as
these are how you safely build up to bigger Amphour reserves  without
needing to hire a forklift or crane to move them..

If this requirement is a regular one, then a proper DD is probably the way
to go, complete with proper recharger. If it is occassional requirement,
then a motorcycle battery may be more economical.

It really is a question of how much power is drawn out of the battery over
this period.

You of course can get lighter batteries, but you pay the price. Capacity
wise, SLA were no cheaper than DD lead-acid in the 12V range. might be
different in the 6V, then there is NimH, or LiPoly if you pockets are
deep or needs low.

Re: Deep cycle batteries
snipped-for-privacy@sci.net.au says...

Go to the RSPCA and get a pitbull to watch the crop.

Site Timeline