decent SLA battery suppliers, Perth?

May wind up needing a quantity of SLA's to refit an APC UPS. The usual suspects list comparable units - 12v 5Ah 90W x 70D x 112H (+ terminals) - but they only have 4.8mm spade terminal. The UPS harnessing uses 1/4" and at the currents involved the size mismatch would be a factor. (Equally I don't plan on replacing 32 terminals to get a proper fit.)

The GS Yuasa NP series are also 4.8mm terminals, while the NPH are

1/4" as required. Haven't found other brands in 1/4" yet.

Don't want a non-local vendor as the shipping may be prohibitive (not that the batteries alone won't be).

Any suggestions for outlets to try?

Reply to
who where

Siomar Battery Industries

59 Innovation Circuit, Wangara Western Australia 6065 Ph: 61 89 302 5444 Fax: 61 89 302 5470 Email: snipped-for-privacy@siomar.com
Dyna

All rights reserved. All wrongs avenged.
Reply to
Dyna Soar

Try Siomar in osborne park.

Reply to
Royston Vasey

They've shifted from Osborne Park, now in Wangara.

--
Dyna

All rights reserved. All wrongs avenged.
Reply to
Dyna Soar

Haven't been in touch with Mark Beamish for several years (John was still around then), but did know they'd moved.

There's nothing suitable in their website listings - they only list the Panasonic series and there isn't a dimensional fit there. Also from memory their full range mimics the Yuasa NP series with the 4.8mm terminals.

I know he also does generics, so I'll give him a call on the off-chance that some have the right dimensions of batteries and terminals.

Probably have to give Century Yuasa a call too ....

Reply to
who where

While the price may be prohibitive ? You could try Farnell or RS, as these places (last time I looked) offered free freight on all web orders. (Check terms and conditions to see if they exclude items over a certain weight).

In cases like this, where a heavy item may have to be shipped a long distance it may work out cheaper overall.

You are also likely to get a known quality of battery (last time I bought they stocked sonnenschein and Yuasa brands, both of which I have found to be reliable) rather than the no-name brands that some suppliers sell.

Reply to
kreed

Might be worthwhile trying some the model plane stores as similar batteries are used by Radio Control plane flyers (to power glo plug engine starters)

David

Reply to
David

They all seem to use the .187" (3/16) terminals, like most of the chinese/budget batteries.

Reply to
who where

:May wind up needing a quantity of SLA's to refit an APC UPS. The :usual suspects list comparable units - 12v 5Ah 90W x 70D x 112H (+ :terminals) - but they only have 4.8mm spade terminal. The UPS :harnessing uses 1/4" and at the currents involved the size mismatch :would be a factor. (Equally I don't plan on replacing 32 terminals to :get a proper fit.) : :The GS Yuasa NP series are also 4.8mm terminals, while the NPH are :1/4" as required. Haven't found other brands in 1/4" yet. : :Don't want a non-local vendor as the shipping may be prohibitive (not :that the batteries alone won't be). : :Any suggestions for outlets to try?

J. G. Thomas

I bought my last UPS batteries from them. Because I needed them urgently I was prepared to use the 4.8mm tab units the had in stock. Even with 6.3mm QC connectors I found that the cable stiffness would not allow them to dislodge from the smaller tabs and current carrying capacity was not an issue. Thomas were prepared to order in the 6.3mm tab versions if I wanted to wait.

Reply to
Ross Herbert