Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

The title says it all really.
See what happens when I try to destroy Fluke's new 28-II Multimeter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlA7-fh5nDQ

Dave.
Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

says...

Ha! I thought you tied the multimeter to the back of the car and dragged
it down the freeway. :P

Stopped at 3:20min. Had to continue life.

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

Got interesting up around 10:00 or so... 30 meters eh?

Screw you Dave, I wanna see that thing under a sledge. :)  Or maybe a log
splitter, or backhoe, or something...

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

On a sunny day (Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:21:35 +1100) it happened "David L. Jones"

Well, why bother, I have a 5 Euro multimeter,
if it blows I will get an other 5 Euro multimeter.
But it says it is 100% protected.
Why burn so many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$? Just for the show???
Makes no sense to me.

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

He got it for nuffin just to test.

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

If you had seen some of his earlier videos, you'd know why. By all means use
your cheaper meter if you like, but there is such a thing as, "measurement
confidence". If your work is important, perhaps with lots of money or even
someone's life potentially at stake, which meter would I rather rely on? I
think the answer is pretty obvious.
I own meters large and small, el cheapos and better ones. But when I really
need to know, right now and with no bullshit, I reach for the Fluke.

Mark Z.

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

Fluke.

I bought an expensive Fluke multimeter 20 years. It continues to work well,
and has only needed to have the LCD contacts cleaned (twice). I'm almost 63,
and if I live to be 90, I expect it to continue to work.

Harbor Freight sometimes sells their cheap multimeter for $2 (!!!). I gave
one to a friend for Christmas, because he needed one for occasional work. I
can see taking such a meter into places it might be damaged or destroyed.
But I wouldn't use it for daily work.

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

I bought a Univolt DT-830 around 1984, and it is still working well too.
The only gripe is that the slide ON/OFF switch corroded and became
intermittent  (because I used to live by the sea, I think) so I replaced
it with a toggle switch. The DT-830 uses a 40-pin DIL ICL7106 and other
readily available components like LM324's etc on a normal (not surface
mount)
PCB, so if it does break down I should be able to fix it myself.
It does lack auto-off, but it draws SFA power anyway.

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

Agree.

I have had a fluke 87 for about 15 years, it has never let me down. It
has survived drops, rough conditions and other abuse that happens in
the trade. The only thing I have ever done is replace the probes once,
and a fuse when I accidentally blew it once - and that is NOT the
meter's fault.
I cannot be stuck with dodgy equipment when I'm on a job 200km from
the workshop. Been there, done that, when I started out many years
ago.

To me, the cost of time and money and goodwill by having to go back
would be excess of the cost of a decent meter.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, and Dave's reviews have confirmed
my belief in their products. I can see also where the internal design
has been improved a lot.

Im not just pushing Fluke products either, while I havent used or seen
them, due to industry competition, Im sure that HP, TEK and others
have made comparable quality meters.

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

David L. Jones Inscribed thus:

Nice field trip. Most impressive !
I did think that the LCD would have broken much sooner though.
The inductor failure could have been prevented.
Good one.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:21:35 +1100, "David L. Jones"

Absolutely the most idiotic video I've seen in months.

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

viestissä:BJGkn.72617$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe18.iad...

More multimeter torturing:
Here is report about those $5 multimeters
http://gps.sozialnetz.de/global/show_document.asp?id=aaaaaaaaaaaajxn
And video:
http://www.gossenmetrawatt.com/english/seiten/cautiondangerousmultimeters.htm

Better to stay away from mains with those.
I learned that hard way when I measured a water heater with some unknown
cheap meter.
First measured phase-to-ground 230 V fine... then phase to phase BANG
instead of 380 V
Fortunately only 16 A fuses on that circuit, so only damage was charred
multimeter. Think
if someone were dumb enough to measure something protected with 250 A
fuses... Like
if he forgot his own meter in car and sees nice looking meter lying
somewhere and actually
believes the "CAT III 600V" text printed on it. "Well, this meter should do
the job" and then
it shorts in his hands at about 1/10 voltage CAT III meter should withstand.

-E

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:21:35 +1100, "David L. Jones"

My AUD$3K Fluke PM97 failed from normal use. The batteries wouldn't
hold a charge from day 1, the AC adapter failed after only a short
time, one of the probes failed soon after, and then the meter itself
failed. The service manual was missing the power supply page (maybe
some Fluke/Philips tech used it and forgot to replace it).

One day I'll step on it ... again, and again, and again.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

Then why wasn't it repaired/replaced under warranty?

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:44:21 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"

I bought it in Australia, but I took it to Singapore. I suppose I
could have made the effort to have the batteries replaced, but I
relied on the AC adapter, until it failed.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 18:42:37 +1100, Franc Zabkar =

Just the same, i think i would have force fed it to the local dealer =
instead.
At that price, i might well have flown back and force fed it to the =
dealer that20%
was foolish enough to sell me a clearly defective unit.

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

And you didn't send it back ?!!

geoff

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

Dave,

You should make what was left the prize in a competition.

Nial

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

On Mar 9, 12:54A0%am, "Nial Stewart"

Wonder if you could return it under warranty ?  ;)

Re: Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:54:46 -0000, "Nial Stewart" =

He couldn't do that, it was on loan for the torture test.

Site Timeline