DealExtreme - Some wins, some losses...

...from my most recent purchases from DealExtreme.

The wins:

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/16w-3500k-950-lumen-warm-white-led-emitter-metal-strip-12-14v-65606

This thing is REALLY something very good indeed. Thin, unobtrusive, nicely
made and very, very bright. I compared it to an existing, 11 Watt T5 under
cupboard mounted fluoro. I noted an almost 100% increase in light available
in various places near the lamp in the kitchen. Current consumption was 0.7A
@ 12 Volts (regulated), measured with a light meter. SWMBO really liked the
warmth of the LED strip compared with the T5, along with the significantly
higher light output. I reckon this guy will actually enable me to dump the
50 Watt halogens from the kitchen, as soon as I can figure out a mounting
system. They need heat sinking. Nonetheless, unhesitatingly recommended.

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/aurora-ak-p7-5-ha-iii-ssc-p7-c-5-mode-900-lumen-led-flashlight-with-assault-crown-1-18650-16091

Well, I don't really know if this is a win just yet. I neglected to note the
special Li-ion battery required. We'll see.

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/24w-300-led-white-indoor-decoration-string-lights-with-led-driver-5m-length-dc-12v-48910

This is really something very special. Excellent light output, good matching
of LEDs and dead easy to use. Even comes with it's own power supply.

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/100mhz-oscilloscope-probe-32422

Nice. Similar quality to what I pay WES 35 Bucks for.

The losses:

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/unique-novelty-credit-card-light-bulb-yellow-1-cr1216-28563

Waste of money.

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/mr16-5w-3800k-450lm-5-led-warm-white-light-bulb-12v-65173

450 Lumen, my arse. More like 0.1 Lumen. Looks like the driver is faulty.
I'll rip it apart and see what can be done. Watch out for this one.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: DealExtreme - Some wins, some losses...
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/16w-3500k-950-lumen-warm-white-led-emitter-metal-strip-12-14v-65606
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/aurora-ak-p7-5-ha-iii-ssc-p7-c-5-mode-900-lumen-led-flashlight-with-assault-crown-1-18650-16091

Just get the batteries with charger from ebay (cheaper than dealextreme)

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/24w-300-led-white-indoor-decoration-string-lights-with-led-driver-5m-length-dc-12v-48910
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/unique-novelty-credit-card-light-bulb-yellow-1-cr1216-28563
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/mr16-5w-3800k-450lm-5-led-warm-white-light-bulb-12v-65173

Re: DealExtreme - Some wins, some losses...
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/16w-3500k-950-lumen-warm-white-led-emitter-metal-strip-12-14v-65606

It claims 16W but only used 0.7amps. It truly is magic :-)

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/aurora-ak-p7-5-ha-iii-ssc-p7-c-5-mode-900-lumen-led-flashlight-with-assault-crown-1-18650-16091

I have something similar I reckon it's awesome. It's so easy to carry
around so you can always have it in your pocket if you go away camping
or something like that. The only problem I have found is that it can
jump modes. I have to work out what is lose in there.

Re: DealExtreme - Some wins, some losses...
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/16w-3500k-950-lumen-warm-white-led-emitter-metal-strip-12-14v-65606

**In all fairness, I did current limit the thing to what _I_ considered
reasonable (Damned thing comes with zero information). Perhaps, with 14
Volts and a little over an Amp up their bum, they would consume 16 Watts. I
would be concerned with Pdiss and consequent life-span at those levels.
With 12 Volts, limited to 0.7 Amps, the thing was mighty impressive.
Significantly brighter (measured with a light meter) than an 11 Watt T5
fluoro is a fine effort.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: DealExtreme - Some wins, some losses...

How did you heatsink it? I mean, aesthetically, if you put these things
in your kitchen etc...?

Re: DealExtreme - Some wins, some losses...

**I have yet to work that out, but I've noted that if I glue it to the
granite, there seems to be adequate 'heat sink' that way. I figure on
mounting it to a sheet of aluminium (say: 200mm X 100mm) and glue that to
the underside of the cupboard. I'll perform a few experiments that allow for
decent cooling and adequate SAF. Regardless of which way I go, it'll be a
whole lot less obtrusive than the fluoro it will replace. Even SWMBO has
suggested mounting it on stainless steel wires and hang it from the ceiling.
Mounted to a small block of aluminium, it could look nice and provide decent
cooling.

I have say that if you are remotely interested in LED lighting, buy one of
these things. They are very, very impressive.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: DealExtreme - Some wins, some losses...

I received one of these recently. Damn it is one really really bright
LED. It easily beats my pair of 150W flood lights in the back yard. It
has a couple of problem though. The first was that the light was very
floody, the standard flood lights that most household have a very
directional in comparison. THe second was the heat. After a couple of
minutes of running the Pentium 4 cooler I had it connected to was
getting too hot to touch. It would be ok I think if the fan was running
but the power supply if 36V so it would be difficult.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/prime-100w-8000lm-led-emitter-metal-plate-pure-white-42806

Re: DealExtreme - Some wins, some losses...

I got myself one from DealExtreme and was also stunned by the
brightness, which I think is a little deceptive because of the small
surface area that outputs the light.
I am using it now without a heat sink in my desk lamp for work.
It runs on 11.6V DC drawing 0.5 A with a slightly lower light output,
but running much cooler.

Cheers

Tony

Re: DealExtreme - Some wins, some losses...
That 16W led bar sounds perfect for solar,  but running on 12v batts
with a constant current regulator may still be too much as batteries
creep up to 14v.  Need an inverter from 12v batts.
Whats the best way to drive this direct from batts without blowing or
wasting too much power or getting complicated?
(no heatsink at 500ma 11.65v sounds good!)

Maybe using one of these may do the trick!
http://www.rohm.com/products/lsi/power/1chip_fet/single-chip /

Re: DealExtreme - Some wins, some losses...

Maxim has a whole range of LED current drivers as well:
http://para.maxim-ic.com/en/search.mvp?fam=hbled&tree=master

Site Timeline