Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV - Page 3

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

The term probably dates back to at least the 30s. It refers to a problem
that refuses to yield to common-sense analysis or trouble-shooting.

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

"Sylvia Else"

** Hey dumbass.

 You misspelled  "sci.electronics.repair".

...  Phil

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

So I did. Now why didn't the server complain?

Sylvia.

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

was that really nesecarry?!?!?
you really enjoy it, dont you :P

show some attitude at least toward ladies FFS :)))

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

"Gagi-9a6aag"
 "Phil Allison"

** You are new here and know nothing of the past.

     Sylvia is no lady.

....  Phil

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

ok, then SilviO

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

"Gagi-9a6aag"

** ROTFL  !!

....  Phil

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

A friend and I (he very experienced) tries to fix a similar fault in a
similar Sony TV a year back. The clicking was coming from a relay in the
PSU, which appears to be driven via some circuitry from an opto-isolator
from the main board. It would appear that it would try to power up, detect
a fault, and shut off again, repeatedly. We never did get to the bottom of
it. Really, with so many rather good glass TVs on the nature strip, are you
sure it's worth the trouble?

Clifford Heath.

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

Probably not, particulary as I've identified a dud transistor that is
moderately expensive to source, and whose failure may only be a symptom.
If the problem had been a failed electrolytic capacitor that I could get
from my local electronics shop, then it would have been worth having a
go at fixing it. As things stand, it's destined for the tip (or
something - see below).

But we don't get good glass TVs on the nature strip, at least not in my
suburb. The council banned getting rid of them that way (i.e. leaving
them out on an official council cleanup day), with the result that one
cannot simply go out on such a day, and pick up a TV whose only sin is
that it isn't wide-screen.

Sylvia.

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

I replaced the HOT in this TV also. $9 including shipping from WES.
However, HOTs are very strange devices. If you just do the basic
two-diode test, you'll probably consider that a good one has failed.
That's what I did :)... something to keep in mind.

So drive to the next suburb. Aforementioned friend has picked up
half a dozen perfectly functional TVs that way, usually wide-screen
versions (he prefers those), and provided them to friends. Must get
a few duds, but you can drop those back.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

"Clifford Heath"

** You need a " Power Transistor Tester" -  published as a full construction
article in EA magazine back in May of 1988 by me. Altronics and Jaycar had
kits for it at one time.

It will reasonably accurately test the beta (or Hfe) of any power transistor
OR  power Darlington pair OR  horizontal deflection transistor. Very cheap
to make  -  uses only a few passives, a couple of red LEDs and a WW pot.

No PCB was used as it take only minutes to wire up the bits once they are
all fitted into a small jiffy box.

It will also allow close matching ( ie Vbe match) of groups of power
transistors that must operate in parallel.

Requires an external 12 volt DC source.

I would post the schem on ABSE, but like so many others I no longer have
access to the site.

 .....  Phil

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

Thanks.

You mean you have no access to ABSE? Spend $US3.95 at www.teranews.com and
get free lifetime access to all the binary groups, limited to 50MB/day.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

"Clifford Heath"

** Not worth a hoot to me for posting schems or pics unless everyone has the
same.

.....  Phil

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

We had a nice 2004 vintage Sharp set that failed about a year back.
Intermittent, wouldn't turn on sometimes but would other times.
had a fast look inside and saw corrosion around one of the IC's.
(looked like the CPU).

The set only just fit into the wheely bin, but it did fit.  Saved a
trip out to the (isolated) main road to leave it for someone to take
home.

Re: Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

In the dark old days (mid 70's) we would find that in Sydney during the
months of December to March the high temp and humidity would cause
triplers to fail (mostly with dust all over them) which would take out
the HOT and sometimes the PSU. Consequently there were a number of
brands of TV's that we would stock up on these parts in October ready
for the rush. I'm not suggesting that this is your fault, however it
does seem familiar.

Site Timeline