DB pin crimping tools

Can anybody recommend a retail supplier of DB pin crimping tools and DB =
pins?20%

I have seen some very nice crimping tools aimed at the professional who =
does thousands per year, but told they cost around $250. I'm hoping =
there is something cheaper aimed at the hobbyist who might only do a few =
hundred per year.

Re: DB pin crimping tools

"$2 shop". A  pair of adjustable pliers.

OR

A $4 vice.

Thats not a hobby, thats an obsession. Are you sure you dont suffer
obsessive complusive disorder ?

Re: DB pin crimping tools

buy a cheap pair of sidecutters, then file them blunt.

Cheers
Terry

Re: DB pin crimping tools

Ah, my tools are for IDC  'ribbon cable'  DB connectors.

One at a time  crimp DB ... well there must be  cheap enough tool for you to
do 'hundreds a year'.

You could just use hand reconfigurable DB <-> RJ45 convertor. Good for 8
wire serial cables

Re: DB pin crimping tools

The application is to put single strand 24 gauge wire into terminal blocks.
The terminal blocks are large as they need to take fairly heavy duty audio
cable in the other side. The smaller wires are likely to be rearranged
fairly frequently so some sort of pin on the ends would be useful. I can get
both types of wire and the terminal blocks for free and DB pins are quite
cheap. I'd rather not butcher some other tool as I'd like the pins to be
crimped properly. So back to the original question - where can I get a
proper DB pin crimping tool for under $250?

Re: DB pin crimping tools

Why dont you simply use ferrules, and a ferrule crimper - they are
astonishingly cheap, and can usually be obtained from electrical
wholesalers.

Cheers
Terry

Re: DB pin crimping tools

DB pins?
who does thousands per year, but told they cost around $250. I'm hoping
there is something cheaper aimed at the hobbyist who might only do a
few hundred per year.

Just curious as to why you don't simply use solder cup and/or IDC DB
connectors?
The solder cup ones cost hardly anything, and the IDC type are quick
and convenient but cost more. The crimp type are usually a poor middle
of the road solution for the hobbyist.

Dave :)

Site Timeline