Daylight saving algorithms (slightly OT?)

Hi, I'm producing embedded equipment that needs to know about daylight saving, which was introduced in WA late last year. The WA arrangement is that clocks shift early in the last Sunday of a specified month. That's reasonably OK to program into an embedded device, the only nonvolatile config you need to put in is the changeover months, and then let the code work out the changeover day. My concern is that the rules may change to something else that would require me to reburn the code (much harder to do in this case). Is anyone aware of any sort of de-facto standard that exists for daylight saving changeovers, which specifies the rules, or limits to the rules? TIA

Reply to
Bruce Varley

The only rule is that there are no rules. Linux systems implement a package called, in Debian, tzdata, which contains a zoneinfo directory full of files containing the rules, year by year, for each country and zone. You could do worse than download the source packages that are associated (packges.debian.org) and have a read. Handling of changes relies on the package being updateable.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

At work we same problem with LED Time - Temperature Signs we make the best solution was to have two external buttons to set the Time Zone. If the sign is far away we use a simple door remote with up and down buttons. Hope that helps

Reply to
Joseph Moschini