Datalogging Multi Meter for under $500?

I have a need for a basic datalogger / multimeter.

What I'm intending to measure :

  • AC ~1-2V (RMS output of an audio controller) a few times a minute over
8 hours to find out if the operator is constantly running it over the prescribed limits (for long periods of time)

  • Temperature - just how stable is that wine fridge of mine ;)

  • 240VAC - how variable is that socket over a couple of hours

I've seen this :

I'm yet to find a manual to explain the limitations of the logging (min / max sample rates).

I've got a junk laptop I could use but its a bit clunky...

Ideas and / or suggestiongs anyone?

Cheers, Antony.

Reply to
Antony N. Lord

It's all about the software. The PC software on these cheapies can vary enornmously, some of them bordering on unusable. Beware.

Don't know about that Altronics one, but for $300 I'd at least want autoranging. But if it's just for datalogging then I guess that's ok.

For $500 you can almost buy the latest Fluke 289:

For temperature logging you simply cannot beat the ThermoChron iButton loggers from Dallas/Maxim:

Cheap, simple, tiny, no cables, waterproof, Excel import, and battery lasts for >5years. You can even stick them all throughout an enclosure or whatever to get a 3D thermal map of whatever it is you want.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones