Data errors upgrading phone s/w

I suspect if I had a 12yo son, he's be shaking his head at this story.

Attempted an Android OS upgrade on my Samsung Galaxy S2 via Wifi, the network wireless terminal was only metres away, nothing else present that I would have thought would make the process flaky. After the upgrade, phone was dead. Got onto the Oz Samsung support line, which had a true blue aussie at the controls thank god, they sorted me out by reverting the phone to factory settings.

The guy explained that sometimes the upgrade downloads over wifi corrupt, it's better to upgrade from a computer connection. How can these things be so error-prone - or am I just really unlucky? I've downloaded many gigs over my laptop wifi connection over the years, and can't recall ever encountering an unhandled data error.

Is it just that (amazingly) they aren't using robust protocols in this day & age?

Reply to
Bruce Varley

I really doubt its data errors, else nothing would work over WiFi. And restoring to 'Factory settings' does not replace the new OS with the original one. It simply gives the new OS a place to start from with standard settings.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

You mean like verifying the downloaded file (MD5, or some such) before applying it?

The Samsung rep's explanation seems a tad implausible.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

WiFi upgrades are not recommended for any device. Use USB connection.

Customer reps are usually implausible once they're taken off the script on the auto-cue screen in front of them, not terribly bright people employed for that job? :o)

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

I can't really see why WiFi should be an issue, unless the device is directly overwriting its firmware such that a transmission failure would brick the device. Otherwise, and assuming even basic verification of the firmware image, the worst result of a WiFi transmission failure should be that the upgrade has to be started again.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else