Data errors upgrading phone s/w

I suspect if I had a 12yo son, he's be shaking his head at this story.

Attempted an Android OS upgrade on my Samsung Galaxy S2 via Wifi, the
network wireless terminal was only metres away, nothing else present that I
would have thought would make the process flaky. After the upgrade, phone
was dead. Got onto the Oz Samsung support line, which had a true blue aussie
at the controls thank god, they sorted me out by reverting the phone to
factory settings.

The guy explained that sometimes the upgrade downloads over wifi corrupt,
it's better to upgrade from a computer connection. How can these things be
so error-prone - or am I just really unlucky? I've downloaded many gigs over
my laptop wifi connection over the years, and can't recall ever encountering
an unhandled data error.

Is it just that (amazingly) they aren't using robust protocols in this day &
age?

Re: Data errors upgrading phone s/w

I really doubt its data errors, else nothing would work over WiFi.
And restoring to 'Factory settings' does not replace the new OS with the
original one.  It simply gives the new OS a place to start from with
standard settings.

Re: Data errors upgrading phone s/w

You mean like verifying the downloaded file (MD5, or some such) before
applying it?

The Samsung rep's explanation seems a tad implausible.

Sylvia.

Re: Data errors upgrading phone s/w

WiFi upgrades are not recommended for any device.  Use USB connection.

Customer reps are usually implausible once they're taken off the script on
the auto-cue screen in front of them, not terribly bright people employed
for that job?  :o)

Grant.

Re: Data errors upgrading phone s/w
On 11/12/2012 7:44 AM, Grant wrote:

I can't really see why WiFi should be an issue, unless the device is
directly overwriting its firmware such that a transmission failure would
brick the device. Otherwise, and assuming even basic verification of the
firmware image, the worst result of a WiFi transmission failure should
be that the upgrade has to be started again.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline