DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?

Since I last looked at the market a year a go things don't seem of changed much
at all. Prices are still about 8 times those of a conventional FM/AM radio and
if you believe the reviews on the Dick Smith web site many of them suffer from
basic user interface design flaws either due to buggy firmware or just poor
design. It's bizzare - why would anyone buy one?

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?

I'm toying with buying with one due to interference on the AM band from:
1) the network card in one of our PCs
2) a SMPS charger for our electric scooter
3) one of our Nokia phone chargers
4) our neighbors rev cycle airconditioner.

I looked at them again (at DSE). Still too expensive for me.

Battery life seems to be a big issue. I run a small radio under my pillow on
AM all night. I've cut the leads on the tuning LED and get around 2 weeks
out of a pair of generic brand AA alkaline batteries. The digital radios
seem to give < 10 hours from a set of batteries. I also suspect they will be
less forgiving as the battery voltage gets to the lower end of its range.

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?

Just a thought,

You might get better value from a set of Chinese NiMH and a charger.
I use these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/soshine-rechargeable-aaa-900mah-batteries-4-battery-488

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/soshine-hi-tech-lcd-nimh-nicd-super-quick-charger-6152

I have 8 of these batteries 3 years old that have done 200-300+ full
cycles each and from that group I have one AAA which is starting to look
like it is finished. At your rate of use your break even time is about 1
year.

I have a lot of SoShine batteries and other than the name I have no
complaints - they seem to actually be the rated capacity and they last.
Unlike Maxus (1/2 capacity), anythingFire (Tandyfire, Angelfire,
Ultrafire etc) at 1/3 - 2/3 capacity and BTY (Batteries Thought You
(their cheapest cells 5% - 10% of marked capacity and 0 to 10 cycles
life - pathetic)

And I just re-read that you use AA. These one are good -

I used to use them a lot, they have no problems other than that normal
to standard NiMH. I wouldn't expect a problem with them holding a charge
for a month while sitting in a draw.

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/soshine-rechargeable-aaa-900mah-batteries-4-battery-488
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/soshine-hi-tech-lcd-nimh-nicd-super-quick-charger-6152

Thats not a bad idea, I've got a decent charger already. Probably a good
idea for the kids wireless xbox controllers too....
Thanks.

PS -  nice sig line.

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?

I don't have one, or know anyone with one, and based on the "deafening
silence" you hear on the digital radio issue from everyone, I have no
idea what the take up rate is, or even if there is much in the way of
digital coverage outside major cities, or along highways.

One big problem I can see with these DAB units is integrating them
into cars that don't have what used to be standard DIN rail type
stereo's anymore.  Many late model cars seem to have the audio system
integrated into the dash, and even into the car itself in many cases
(such as those radio/CD's that display info in the instrument area
along with the speedo rather than on the front of the system itself,
as well as control buttons on the steering wheel etc.).  For all I
know, they might be integrated even more into the car's computer
system in some models, and at very least might cause problems (garbage
on displays, error messages etc) if removed from the vehicle.

Putting an aftermarket DAB stereo into some of these vehicles might
involve a lot of butchering, and pretty shit results cosmetically in
some cases, especially where there isnt a flat surface available on
the vehicle console, and maybe not enough clearance behind the console
either.

This will be an important issue, as I would think that a large amount
of radio listening time is spent in the car to and from work, shops
etc - especially if they switch to digital at some time in the future,
and kill the analog system as they are in the process of with TV.
For that matter, do these DAB systems use the same aerial or does it
need to be changed ?

I saw some DAB radios at Aldi on Friday, but they didnt excite me at
all.
Looked like a cheap crappy "portable radio" type thing with single
2.5" (approx) speaker.  There were still heaps in stock.  I cannot
remember seeing them anywhere else around the shops - or recall any
efforts being made to promote them.

I would only buy one, if I had a guarantee that I could get that "Alan
Jones" in my area (he isnt available on FM radio here).    Trevor
"recommends" him highly in the way only Trevor can.

To give an idea of the price of these things, for about the same
money, I could have bought their (Aldi) "Bauhn CD Micro system" that
at least has a CD player, MP3 facility by USB stick or SD card, as
well as an FM radio, and better speakers - even stereo :)

Or could have got their crappy looking turntable, with single small
inbuilt speaker, cassette player, and USB/SD slot for MP3 playback.
One can only cringe thinking at how bad this unit must sound
especially on records and tapes

For some reason I usually leave there with just my grocery items :)

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?

If you like to listen to ABC (in Perth) and don't like the AM quality, a
digital radio does the job. I've got one and my radio clock is a digital
one too.

Tony

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?

Another benefit I believe is that when ABC 720am switches to cricket/footy
or whatever the digital program generally continues.

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?

And I thought I was the only one who doesn't like footy or cricket :)
There are also some other digital channels worth having. e.g. the comedy
channel, once or twice a week.
A strange thing is how I miss a remote control when just about
everything else has one these days.

Tony

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?
I have one, it can run on mains also with a re-charge battery inside.
My preference is for jazz and the ABC runs 24/7 with no ads which to me
is a big plus. To hear anything at a decent quality of course it's an
earphone job or through the amp. Plus you can select stuff or repeat
etc, etc.

Rheilly

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?

Yep, the specialty music channels are a definite plus for me. Titles and
artists shown on the display, or you can go to the just played website page
for the ABC channels. Just note that the time zones on just played are a bit
of a mess, the best way to use it I've found is to pretend you're in the ES,
set the zone to EST and time to what it would be over there for the time you
want where you are. If I try the WA setting the results are way out.

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?
Yup, the old aunty thinks we all live over there now :-)

Rheilly

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?

much

I just threw out a tuner with an AM stereo decoder because it only
worked with one amp and because only 2HD here is transmitting
in stereo AM.

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?

This one is sixty dollars and includes an FM radio and digital TV
tuner <http://www.digitalnow.com.au/product_pages/Dabby.html .
It does require a rather expensive peripheral in the form of a
computer but I'm guessing you already have one :)

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?
I have a clock radio one (nice that they automatically adjust
the time)  and a pocket one for use on the train (no
interference on AM from the rails power lines etc).

--
Regards
Blue

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?

Why would Aldi be selling a DAB radios in Newcastle when there are no
DAB radio stations in Newcastle?

Re: DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?
DAB radios are sold all over the place, regardless of whether there's
any coverage. You can buy them in TAS as well, despite no services
available.

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 12:13:32 +1100, Barry