Cutting thick perspex/clear plastic with hand tools

err, vaguely electronics related I hope.

I have some 5mm perspex/clear plastic that I'd like to cut for use in a
project. Any tips on how to do it with hand tools?

TIA

Re: Cutting thick perspex/clear plastic with hand tools

Straight edges or curves?

If you only need to cut straight edges you can score with a straightedge & a
scoring tool (can be made from an old power hacksaw blade and a bench
grinder) and snap on a solid straight bench...excessive waste might be an
issue though.

Or use a jigsaw with a fine blade, but pays to drill any sharp corners
first.

Finish edges using a belt linisher if you have one.

James

Re: Cutting thick perspex/clear plastic with hand tools

use a fret saw  which has a  really  thin  blade,
mark k

Re: Cutting thick perspex/clear plastic with hand tools

best basic hand tool is hacksaw or fret saw

I have in the past used a tenon saw (usually used for wood) to cut
lengths longer than a few inches (which are better done with a hacksaw
or fret saw - but for longer distances the saw frame gets in the way)

the stiff blade of the tenon saw means you can saw the perspex with
several inches of blade without the upper support (that is thicker)
hitting the perspex, and the blade won't flex, you can cut as far into
the sheet as you want using this method.

Saw descriptions:
http://automata.co.uk/construction.htm

Other methods include scoring and snapping (i have even used a Stanley
knife for this in the past) but in reality an electric jigsaw (with
the proper blade) is unbeatable !  With curves in big pieces, the
jigsaw is about the only pratical way. Supa cheap etc have these often
from under $30

Re: Cutting thick perspex/clear plastic with hand tools

Thanks for the replies.
Since it is only straight cuts atm, I used a hacksaw on 24Teeth/inch.

Site Timeline