Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases entering Australia, and you can ex...

Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases entering Australia, and
you can expect major delays.

I play the game by the rules, and get caught up. I am really getting pissed off
now!
Who was the polly that dreamt this one up?
3 months won't make any difference. Read on:

===============

A document from the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service from late
January details a three month campaign to
crack-down on expensive parcels entering Australia marked as gifts or with a
declared value under $1000, exempting them
from liability for GST or duty payments. The document notes that the campaign
aims to ensure that GST and duty
exemptions for low-value goods entering Australia are not being "abused or
exploited" by importers.

full story:
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/375895/customs_cracking_down_ebay_online_store_purchases_entering_australia /

full document:
http://www.cargosupport.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/ACCA2011_01.pdf

I think this witch hunt for 3 months, will be a waste of custom resources.

I have had a package sitting in customs from the 6-feb to the 10-feb. Was in
Sydney on the 4th. I hope to get it today,
the 11th of Feb.

Here is the on-line doco:
http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854

This package is for $7000 worth of goods, and includes all documentation, but it
still gets held up in this fiasco.

As a business importer, I make sure all packages fall into 2 groups:
1) Well under $1000, so there are no delays, or import costs. I usually make it
$800 to be safe. Daily exchange rates
can play a bit part.

2) Well in excess of $1000, so that expensive courier fees cover all my import
paperwork and time involved. I pay, and I
get a service.

I know many ebay sellers put "gift" on packages that contain just $10 worth of
goods. They don't know or care what the
limit is world wide. They only wish to sell their goods and not have import
problems for the purchaser.

If you purchase something with a value over $1000, and expect to get it in under
that value to circumnavigate customs,
you are taking a big chance. One I would never attempt. Not worth the hassle.

Cheers Don...

================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases entering Australia, and you can expect major delays.
hi, ummm how customs know its a  ebay  purschase or  from a online  store
???

just another fake  email stroy ..
how they gonna tell if its a gift  etc,,

?

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/375895/customs_cracking_down_ebay_online_store_purchases_entering_australia /
http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases entering Australia, and you can expect major delays.

Oh, just a few trivial details like where the item came from etc.

Oh, just a few trivial details like where the item came from etc.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/375895/customs_cracking_down_ebay_online_store_purchases_entering_australia /
http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases entering Australia, and you can expect major delays.
ummmmmmmm  ive gotten parcels from overseas with just the persons name on
it...  no details on it wether it came from a store or ebay,,

if my friend  buys a ebnay ityem over seas and sends it to me , what
then,,,,,??

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/375895/customs_cracking_down_ebay_online_store_purchases_entering_australia /
http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases entering Australia, and you can expect major delays.

Not from ebay or an online store you havent.

then,,,,,??

You get it, stupid.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/375895/customs_cracking_down_ebay_online_store_purchases_entering_australia /
http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854
make it $800 to be safe. Daily exchange

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases entering Australia, and you can expect major delays.
 ummm  like where the item came from ??  yeah okay..

just because it came from overseas , or any other package makes it a ebay
item ????

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/375895/customs_cracking_down_ebay_online_store_purchases_entering_australia /
http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases entering Australia, and you can expect major delays.
oh , i forgot  ,. got my ebay parcel without delays , i`m a part time
importer ,   never got no delays on mine....

customs   WILL DO A RANDOM  check  which will delay packages.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/375895/customs_cracking_down_ebay_online_store_purchases_entering_australia /
http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases enteringAustralia, and you can expect major delays.

Customs would not have the warehouse space to delay goods for three months.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/375895/customs_cracking_down_ebay_online_store_purchases_entering_australia /
http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases enteringAustralia, and you can expect major delays.

Nor would they suddenly have the staff to start deliberately delaying
shipments excessively.  As long as the shipper has filled out the
relevant paperwork properly (and any business doing this regularly
will already be well aware of the requirements) you should have no
problems.

Had a parcel arrive (delivered and signed for) in 2 1/2 *DAYS* from
Italy this week - I can't complain about that.

--
Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org /

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases enteringAustralia, and you can expect major delays.

well I guess Sweden is so much further away that it takes a little longer :-)

http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854

Dispatched in Sweden on the 2nd Feb via TNT, arrived on the 4th Feb in Sydney.
Got to me by the 11th Feb, so it was 7
days sitting in Australia.

And this is a regular package, about every 2 months. Been dealing with the man
since 1994, so we know how to do the
paperwork, and TNT have our payment authorization for GST, customs entry fee,
and Security fee payments, so there is no
delay there either.

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases enteringAustralia, and you can expect major delays.

http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854
Got to me by the 11th Feb, so it was 7

Weird.  It was held by Sydney Customs until fees was paid, then held
_again_ by Customs in Melbourne?  Something completely arse-about there!

--
Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org /

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases enteringAustralia, and you can expect major delays.
http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854
Sydney. Got to me by the 11th Feb, so it was 7

Really wierd.  Once any fees are paid and the Sydney Customs clear it,
it should be released into the postal service for delivery to the
addressee. It should not have gone anywhere near the Customs in Melbourne !

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases enteringAustralia, and you can expect major delays.
mmm no wonder there was a delay !!!! WAITING FOR  PAYMENT OF TAXES ETC....

http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases enteringAustralia, and you can expect major delays.

Which were paid when the shipment was held in Sydney, and then the
package was delayed again in Melbourne.

Are you even capable of reading what has been written?

http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854

Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org /

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases enteringAustralia, and you can expect major delays.

Thanks Andy,

I wasn't going to respond for two reasons.

1) He top posted. (Phil won't like that.) :-)
The art of snipping large messages also appears to be lost forever.

2) He was so wrong that I thought, "Why bother?" He didn't bother to read and
digest what I had written, let alone the
TNT tracking details:
http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854

So I won't.
Respond that is. :-)

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases enteringAustralia, and you can expect major delays.
mmm well  we only going by when u SAY  it  WAS PAID..

http://www.tnt.com/webtracker/tracking.do?navigation=1&searchType=CON&respLang=en&respCountry=GENERIC&genericSiteIdent=.&cons87%8960854

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases enteringAustralia, and you can expect major delays.
ohhhh you think customs are gonna employ thousands of workers to examine
parcels...  i think not..  that means  less money  for the fat cats...

Re: Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases enteringAustralia, and you can expect major delays.

No.  Are you illiterate?

Read my response again, you imbecile.

Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org /

Site Timeline