Crinkle finish paint - slightly O/T

Well it's for a box that holds electronics :-)
Dulux had a 1 coat solution in a spray can until about 3 years ago,
but no longer it seems.
I'm after black. Google doesn't seem to be my friend in this case, but
maybe it was my search criteria.
In anticipation
Grant R

Re: Crinkle finish paint - slightly O/T

Maybe: http://www.speco.com.au/vht_special.html

VHT stuff used to be good - I assume it's still ok.

Re: Crinkle finish paint - slightly O/T

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:35:12 +0900, "Robbo"  and Mark Krawczuk
wrote...........

Many thanks gents- didn't even think of car restoration! Off to
Autobarn me thinks.

Grant

Re: Crinkle finish paint - slightly O/T

Was it called hamertex or something similar?

Re: Crinkle finish paint - slightly O/T

Hammertex is the speckled metal finish , several exhaust paint places
can supply the wrinkle heat resistant black in various types of matt.

Re: Crinkle finish paint - slightly O/T

hammertex or  hammertone  is different type of paint, it look liked it had
the effect of  a hammer thats made contact swith  the paint after you`ve
pounded it, crickle or wrinkle is what it says,.
mark k

Re: Crinkle finish paint - slightly O/T

     Are you thinking of 'hammertone'? Example at
http://www.twistedmetalcreations.ca/pictures/fin_hammertone.jpg

Re: Crinkle finish paint - slightly O/T

I thought it was Hammerite - google it and see.

geoff

:Bob Parker wrote:
:> On 16/01/2008 03:15 Elmo wrote:
:>> Grant Roberts wrote:
:>>> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:35:12 +0900, "Robbo"  and Mark Krawczuk
:>>> wrote...........
:>>>
:>>> Many thanks gents- didn't even think of car restoration! Off to
:>>> Autobarn me thinks.
:>>>
:>>> Grant
:>> Was it called hamertex or something similar?
:>
:>
:>

:
:I thought it was Hammerite - google it and see.
:
:geoff
:

I'm with BOb :-)

Back in the 50's when these paint finishes became popular on metalwork such as
amplifier chassis, it was always known as Hammertone finish. Since then there
have been many other names adopted either as proprietary names or simply to
differentiate one manufacturer's product from another, but the original name as
far as Australia is concerned was Hammertone.
http://www.apas.gov.au/PDFs/0087.pdf

Re: Crinkle finish paint - slightly O/T

     Thanks Ross! I just remember seeing it mentioned lots of times in
RTV&H magazine ... shows my age, doesn't it? :)

     When I went looking in Google, I found a few kinds of paint
starting with 'hammer'. Maybe the name varies with which country it's
used in?

Re: Crinkle finish paint - slightly O/T

Hello Elmo,
thanks for your reply, but no, it is the crinkle finish I'm after, and
Robbo's reply had the product I'm looking for.
regards

Re: Crinkle finish paint - slightly O/T

I still use the VHT regularly, (gloss engine enamel) and it still
gives excellent results. Can be found at repco, autobarn, and some
supercheap.

Normally this is supposed to "self bake" by the car engine heating
during normal operation, but i find that for small parts, baking in an
oven works well, if needed.

Re: Crinkle finish paint - slightly O/T

hi, you can buy crinkle finish paint from a automotive store,  some car
engines rocker covers are usually painted in that stuff.