Crinkle finish paint - slightly O/T

Well it's for a box that holds electronics :-) Dulux had a 1 coat solution in a spray can until about 3 years ago, but no longer it seems. I'm after black. Google doesn't seem to be my friend in this case, but maybe it was my search criteria. In anticipation Grant R

Reply to
Grant Roberts

Maybe:

VHT stuff used to be good - I assume it's still ok.

Reply to
Robbo

hi, you can buy crinkle finish paint from a automotive store, some car engines rocker covers are usually painted in that stuff.

Reply to
mark krawczuk

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:35:12 +0900, "Robbo" and Mark Krawczuk wrote...........

Many thanks gents- didn't even think of car restoration! Off to Autobarn me thinks.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Roberts

Was it called hamertex or something similar?

Reply to
Elmo

Hammertex is the speckled metal finish , several exhaust paint places can supply the wrinkle heat resistant black in various types of matt.

Reply to
atec77

hammertex or hammertone is different type of paint, it look liked it had the effect of a hammer thats made contact swith the paint after you`ve pounded it, crickle or wrinkle is what it says,. mark k

Reply to
mark krawczuk

Are you thinking of 'hammertone'? Example at

Bob Parker

Reply to
Grant Roberts

I thought it was Hammerite - google it and see.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

:Bob Parker wrote: :> On 16/01/2008 03:15 Elmo wrote: :>> Grant Roberts wrote: :>>> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:35:12 +0900, "Robbo" and Mark Krawczuk :>>> wrote........... :>>>

:>>> Many thanks gents- didn't even think of car restoration! Off to :>>> Autobarn me thinks. :>>>

:>>> Grant :>> Was it called hamertex or something similar? :>

:>

:>

:> Are you thinking of 'hammertone'? Example at :>

: :I thought it was Hammerite - google it and see. : :geoff :

I'm with BOb :-)

Back in the 50's when these paint finishes became popular on metalwork such as amplifier chassis, it was always known as Hammertone finish. Since then there have been many other names adopted either as proprietary names or simply to differentiate one manufacturer's product from another, but the original name as far as Australia is concerned was Hammertone.

Ross Herbert

Thanks Ross! I just remember seeing it mentioned lots of times in RTV&H magazine ... shows my age, doesn't it? :)

When I went looking in Google, I found a few kinds of paint starting with 'hammer'. Maybe the name varies with which country it's used in?

Reply to
Bob Parker

I still use the VHT regularly, (gloss engine enamel) and it still gives excellent results. Can be found at repco, autobarn, and some supercheap.

Normally this is supposed to "self bake" by the car engine heating during normal operation, but i find that for small parts, baking in an oven works well, if needed.

Reply to
kreed