CPU thermal compound

I had to remove the large heatsink and fan from my (P4) CPU to vacuum
out the dust.  The thermal compound had dried out and gone hard.  It
was grey in colour.  I have white IC/transistor heatsink compound -
will that do?  Or is there a dedicated product for CPUs?

Thanks for reading...

Allan

Re: CPU thermal compound

FWIW, I always like Arctic Silver compound recommended for CPUs.
TechBuy is where I have bought it.There must be others who have it.
http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/38063/COOLING_THERMAL_COMPOUNDS/Arctic_Silver/-/5_Thermal_Compound_3.5_Gram_tube.asp

Also
http://www.arcticsilver.com /

I don't think I'd risk generic white stuff meant for small ICs\transistors
considering the heat a CPU throws off and the quite small heatsinks they
come with.

PH

Re: CPU thermal compound

http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/38063/COOLING_THERMAL_COMPOUNDS/Arctic_Silver/-/5_Thermal_Compound_3.5_Gram_tube.asp
The std white thermal compound will work just fine on any normal cpu ,
unless you try to do something silly like over clock..

Re: CPU thermal compound

or try something to soften the caked hs compound
ie a drop of turps or metho
then respread it

: Peter Howard wrote:
: >> I had to remove the large heatsink and fan from my (P4) CPU to
vacuum
: >> out the dust.  The thermal compound had dried out and gone hard.
It
: >> was grey in colour.  I have white IC/transistor heatsink compound -
: >> will that do?  Or is there a dedicated product for CPUs?
: >>
: >> Thanks for reading...
: >>
: >> Allan
: >
[...]

  not real good for the properties if its the grey pad.

Re: CPU thermal compound

Remember Spread it thinly.  I have seen a few CPUs with almost a
whole tube of the stuff.

Mitch...

Site Timeline