Counterfeits again

Well, WES Components is at it again. I was at a mate's workshop the other
day and his TV tech had been tearing his hair out, after replacing BUZ19A
MOSFETs in a TV. He then tried some IRF substitutes (also sourced from WES)
and they blew up as well. Careful examination revealed the leads seemed
thinner than expected. A MOSFET sourced from Farnell solved the problem. Of
course, WES will refund the cost of the blown MOSFETs, but who pays for the
6 hours of frustration?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Counterfeits again
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:10:07 +1000, "Trevor Wilson"
composed:

What was the part number?

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Counterfeits again

**BUZ19A was one. The other was an IRF number. That is the real worry.
Completely different part numbers, different (alleged) manufacturers, but
the same crappy part. I'll check with my mate tomorrow and report the
details of the other part involved, along with the resolution reached with
WES.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Counterfeits again

**Maybe. They were TO220 packs though. A little hard to pull apart.

[ASIDE] A while ago, my mate posted a pic of a remote control that had
gotten wet. His customer put it in a microwave oven to dry it out......

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Counterfeits again

He's probably allergic to sunlight

Re: Counterfeits again

"Trevor Wilson"
 "Franc Zabkar"

**  Doubt it.

  It don't exist.

  But BUZ91A fits the bill.

......   Phil

Re: Counterfeits again
Overall the service from WES components is non existent. They stuffed up my
order the other day ( yet again) and the guy on the other end of the phone
just didn't care. Whey you stuff up you pay, when they stuff up you pay as
well, I find WES a complete pack of bastards and wouldn't recommend anyone
to use them anymore.

Re: Counterfeits again

**As Phil correctly commented, the part number was a BUZ91A. The other part
was a SSP6N60. Critically, they were allegedly from different manufacturers,
the packaging was identical, right down to the thin leads. My mate has not
been back to WES to complain yet.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Counterfeits again
On Sep 13, 9:10A0%am, "Trevor Wilson"

Strange that, I built the Deluxe Battery Zapper kit from Jaycar and
the MOSFETs supplied (same SSP6N60 types) died a quick death.
The physical construction of the TO220s looked like garbage, the metal
in the legs were so soft that just bending them produced deep stress
cracks.

Out of desperation, DSE equivalents were successfully used to replace
them.

Should have persued it, but didn't due to time and motion or a lack
there of.

Site Timeline