Counterfeit ATmega328s

ATmega Slugs

Sparkfun just got lumbered with counterfeit ATmega328s:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/news.php?id35%0

Makes for interesting reading. Check out the comments also.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Counterfeit ATmega328s

just followed through a little more:
http://www.hkinventory.com/public/ReportedCompanyDetail.asp?ID71%0

name of the rip off company is:
Shenzhen Henglian Electronics Co.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Counterfeit ATmega328s

ATmega328s:http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/news.php?id35%0

"Sparkfun sells counterfeit ICs" isn't a headline I would like to see
if I was running a company... :)

Surprisingly, some people actually seem to be buying them...

Re: Counterfeit ATmega328s

Yes, of course: buy it for $0.50 and sell it for $5.00 on eBay :-)
But the comments clarifies it: Sparkfun was very naive in thinking it could
be used for soldering training and removed it very fast from their shop.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
http://www.frank-buss.de , http://www.it4-systems.de

Re: Counterfeit ATmega328s

Yeah probably no good for solder training either, probably won't tin
properly etc

Re: Counterfeit ATmega328s

It is a big problem in the industry and the longer the lead times get, the
more the counterfeiters benefit

Re: Counterfeit ATmega328s

It is a HUGE problem.

Hitachi (Renesas) suffer from it too.

It is usually visually obvious by looking at the package. The people
doing this are pretty stupid.

Re: Counterfeit ATmega328s

ATmega328s:http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/news.php?id35%0

I think that if you can't find the culprit, it is meaningless
to file complaints.

Probably a good idea to pay through an escrow.
Check that the companyy has existed for a significant amount of time
before you start to trade with them.

You probably want to have a photo of the package.
Buying a component today, which is manufactured in 2007,
has it's own problems.

--
Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson

    If you complain to the U.S. Trade Representative
about counterfeiting, to the Embassy of China, and the China
Semiconductor Industry Association, you might be able to find them.
China does require all businesses to be registered with the
Government, and there will be a paper trail somewhere.

    In particular, the China Semiconductor Industry Association
might well be interested.  They're trying to make their industry
more respectable.  The last thing they want is companies boycotting
China sources.

    Also recognize that Chinese law tends to be rather tough.  It's
hard to get the attention of the authorities in China, but once you
do, pain will be applied to somebody.

                John Nagle

Re: Counterfeit ATmega328s

Interesting...