Cost to install 15A GPO?

Afternoon guys,

I have purchased a used 1600W UPS that requires 15A GPO. I currently
only have standard 10A GPO's where the unit will be going.

As it stands now, all the gear that will be run off the UPS runs fine
off the one 10A GPO - three computers, no monitors and a bit of
networking gear. A very rough, completely over exaggerated estimation
they would draw 1400W.

The outlet is only 6M from the breaker board and is on the same circuit
as a home theatre system (large CRT TV, audio amp, Digital STB...etc),
microwave and other miscellaneous devices.

Two questions:

1/ I'm of the opinion that I shouldn't just run the UPS on the 10A GPO.
Is this technically correct? Given that the devices run fine now is it
one of those 'will probably work but don't do it' situations?

2/ If I have to install [wait, wait...if I have to pay a qualified
electrician to install] a new 15A GPO what is a rough guestimation of
cost? Likely factors include only 6M from the breaker board, there are
'spots' spare on the breaker board and I'm located in inner-north Brisbane.

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

I don't know what the norm is for UPSes, but drawing 2400 to 3600 W and
supplying 1600W doesn't
sound very efficient. Using the waste 800 to 2000W to heat the house in winter
might help :-)

3 average PCs and the network gear might draw 300W tops on average, probably
less IMO. Maybe peaking
higher during disk activity, startup etc.

It probably wouldn't use anything like 10A in practice, so I'd put an 8 or 10
amp fuse in the UPS
and give it a go.

Cheers,

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

supplying 1600W doesn't
might help :-)
less IMO. Maybe peaking
amp fuse in the UPS

    Did you stop to think that when the batteries are charging, you may
still need full output for the regular load?

prove it.
Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

Yes, I did, thanks. Perhaps the batteries are charged at a higher current than I
was expecting.
I'd still be giving it a go though.

Cheers,

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

probably less IMO. Maybe peaking

You don't know much about PC's then! A Pentium CPU by itself requires about
100W each. Have you ever wondered why a single PC power supply is rated at
300-500 Watts, or more? Maybe your "average" is for a 24 hour period where
the computers are turned off 2/3rds of the time?

MrT.

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

I suspect you are suffering under a misapprehension as to the actual
consumption and power rating of a power supply , perhaps you might
investigate OHM'S law .

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

about
at
where

I'm well aware of ohms law. You OTOH have no idea about modern PC power
requirements when they are actually working.
Or maybe you are claiming to have a PC power supply with greater than 100%
efficiency??

MrT.

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

Once again I say you sir really know sfa about the inner workings of a
computer , google surge and Ohms law .

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

rated
100%

What exactly should I be looking for? If Intel says a Pentium draws 135W at
full load, (Ok the new ones are only 95W) how do I power it from a 100W
power supply? Where does the power come from for the rest of the computer?
What is the efficiency of the PSU?
Please provide all the Ohms law calculations you believe are appropriate.

MrT.

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

Do you own work sport , it will be far more worthwhile.
  however keep in mind the power supply is work case max , it takes more
to spin a drive up than to keep it spinning .(generalized example and
have fun)

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

requires
power
at
computer?
appropriate.

In other words you have no idea what you are talking about. If you used
Google yourself, you could find out just how uninformed you actually are.

And hard drives are the least of your problems unless you have a few. Even
some video cards draw more than 100 Watt these days. The heatsinks and fans
aren't just for show!
But you may still be running an 8086 with CGA and floppy disk drive I guess
:-)

MrT.

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

"Nick Adams"

** What that indicates IS that when *fully* loaded and charging,  the unit
draws in excess of 10 amps RMS continuous from the AC supply.  So the makers
were compelled to fit a 15 amp plug to comply with regulations.

Is it the sort that runs 100% of the time ( ie a sine wave supply )  -  or
only when AC supply is lost.

 **  Bet it is not even half that.

**  IMO -   that circuit is overloaded.

But all that will happen is the breaker in the power box will trip when the
" uW" is operated.

 ** Yep.

........  Phil

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

Yes, it is an 'online' UPS and is supplying power from battery 100% of
the time.

I agree. That was more of a worst case scenario. I would rather
overestimate than underestimate.

They are not really average computers but rather servers. In total there
is about 12 HDD's between a few RAID arrays. Even then...your right.

Probably. My question is, how much additional load will the UPS take? If
I'm pushing it now how much closer does this bring me to breaking point
(pun intended)?

Cool. Thanks Phil.

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

"Nick Adams"

** That is not strictly true.

The batteries will normally be fully charged and "floating" while an
internal DC supply operates the 240 volt re-generator circuit.  This DC
supply will need to do *two* jobs whenever there has been a recent  AC
power outage,  recharge the batteries AND  run the 240 volt re-generator.

This is when the AC supply draw can exceed 10 amps RMS.

Your power circuit likely has a 16 amp breaker.

Now, the  "uW" oven draws about 8 amps.

Add it all up.

Snap.

.......   Phil

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

OK. Any idea of ballpark costs to add a new 15A outlet? I have no idea
if its closer to $100 or $1000.

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

anywhere between one and two hun' normally ) dont quote me 'till the
sparky looks) , depends on location and if it has certain hardware
availible . ( and room in your electrical box)

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

Get a few installed at once if you need them.
1/3 of the fee is prolly appearance money.

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

upply )  -
the
re-generator.

'Pends if you need a new circuit, which is sounds like you do. If so, you'll
be up for a new breaker and RCD if there isn't one already, and then there's
the effort involved in running the cable, and there's the cost of the
outlets. I'm guessing at least a couple of hundred, maybe $500 if it's a dog
of a job, maybe more if there's complications.

Get a recommendation for a good sparkie and give them a call.

To give you some idea, about a year ago I got 2 new circuits put on - I
supplied and ran cable, sparkie supplied RCD + 2 breakers and extra consumer
unit plus 1 double exterior GPO and 1 industrial single phase gpo - all up
cost about $400.

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

$100 for RCD/MCDB combo
$100 for cable, GPO, fixing etc.
$240 for labour

Of course its more economical to get a couple of other items done at
the same time if required.

Re: Cost to install 15A GPO?

find out how much current the device uses to charge it's battery add that to
your total peak equipment load.

That depends on where the cable is run and how hard it is to access those
places.  cheapest is probably to cut a hole in the wall and pur in a pull
string the sparky can use to pull the wire through, (may involve drilling
studs, removing roofing material and other fiddly bits. but does give a good
finish)most expensive is getting the electrician to do the same but he
hopefully knows how,
in between is running the cable in a conduit where it can't easily be routed
under the floor or above the ceiling.

It also depends on how busy the building industry is this month...

I'd be most suprised if it can't be done for under $500 prolly muchh less.
but I'm guessing.

Bye.
   Jasen

Site Timeline