Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

Hi all

The 50 Ohm RG58 coax sold by Jaytoy has a shielding that won't readily
solder. While Alronics has 75 Ohm RG59 with copper shielding, which does
solder OK they cannot supply RG58 with this.

Does nyone know of am surce of a small amount of copper shielded RG58 50
Ohm?

TIA

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

The braid on the RG58 *should* be tinned copper. It must really be
crap if it doesn't take solder.

Andy

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

The braid on the RG58 *should* be tinned copper. It must really be
crap if it doesn't take solder.

Andy

Well the Jaytoy definitely does not!  And Altronics say they don't have any
copper shielded RG58. Where do you get yours?

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

Email me off-list (change "agw" to "andy") , we have 100's of metres
of good quality RG58C/U here.

Andy

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

you could try cutting up some old coaxial ethernet cables.
the last one I cut up had copper shield,

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

Great idea!  I'll have a look.

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

This type of coax usually has a stranded center conductor as opposed to a
solid
center conductor.  Is that a problem?

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax
Twist the screen and wire together you want to attach and use some of that
conductive glue Jaycar have.
Works perfectly.

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

Conductive 'glue'? Sounds very Jaytoy!  Or perhaps you were serious?  Surely
can't be very satisfactory when a good low impednace connection at UHF is
required?

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax
It's called cold solder and it does conduct but badly , no where as
strong as hot solder either

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

Oh that stuff, typical Jaytoy!  Typical and up there with farting ashtrays
and their other junk!  Pity about Altronics though. They have been good on
other things. I suppose I could raise a mortgage and try Radiospares?  They
used to be quite reasonable in  price many years ago in the UK but perhaps
they've been bought by some US entity?

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

they have conductive demister repair paint (gotta get some to fix my phone
keypad)

hmm, UHF
thin ethernet has most of the energy between 10 and 20Mhz.
the ethernet cable may not work well for UHf.

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

What was the exact label on the cable?
The only tme I've seen that type, it was very stiff IBM and they were not
"ethernet"

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

I don't recall and I have misplaced it.

IBM was using token ring. the wiring as far as I could tell was
still 50 ohm coax with BNC connectors,

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

   IBM used RG/62 which is 93 ohm.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax
A lot in the later installs was rg59au ( 75hom)

decent coax is easy to find but of course is not free.

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

   That depends on how long it takes you to wreck out an old
installation. Sometimes its already piled up beside the dumpster for
you. :)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax

IBM had 2 significantly  different systems in widespread use and some others
as well.

The 3270 Display System used 93 ohm coax to distribute Video from a
controller to all the screens in an office in a STAR configuration.

While the PC Network introduced in the 80s used 75ohm coax in a serial
configuration with a terminator at the far end.
The prescribed coax was RG-6 (thick heavy lo loss ) for long runs and RG-59
(small flexible hi loss ) for device connectors on the desk.

A later arrival was IBM TokenRing which used twisted pair and a clumsy big
black plug that was the same both ends (  there was no male and female).

John G.

Re: Copper shielded 50 Ohm coax
A lot of the RG59 cable tv cable is aluminum. Cheaper, lighter.
Try a ham-radio store.
Depending on how much you want, any ham will probably have some in
the attic.

Site Timeline