Converting Watts To Amps And Vice Versa - Page 2

Re: Converting Watts To Amps And Vice Versa

And you think *all* BIOS upgrades are unnecessary?
Shame there is often a good reason for the manufacturer to waste money
writing the new firmware!
Or perhaps you think that the necessary upgrades can never fail?
Or maybe it's just YOU who has never needed one.

MrT.

Re: Converting Watts To Amps And Vice Versa

Did I say that?

Manufacturers also advise that one should not upgrade the BIOS unless
one is experiencing an issue that the upgrade is intended to address.

Undoubtedly some upgrades are needed, and occasionally they will fail.

But for the situation Tom described to arise, there would have to be a
lot of upgrades going on. I would be surprised if they're all necessary.
If they're not *all* necessary, then my suggestion that people are doing
unnecessary BIOS upgrades is supported.

Sylvia.

Re: Converting Watts To Amps And Vice Versa

Did you read the rest of the options that *must* lead from your assertion?

Exactly, SOME people DO have problems the upgrade is designed to address,
therefore DO need to upgrade!

So WHY again does one failing "suggest that people are doing unnecessary
BIOS upgrades"?

Just as I would be surprised if a lot weren't.

Nope. While it *might* be so, nothing you have said *proves* anything of the
kind. In fact I know more people who have problems with their computers
because they haven't upgraded the BIOS and weren't aware that was the cause
of their problem.
In fact I'd say the majority of computer users wouldn't know what the BIOS
even does, or EVER check for updates. Most people I know have to be told how
to even get into the BIOS configuration screen, and wouldn't dream of
changing the settings, let alone the BIOS itself!!!!!!!!

MrT.

Re: Converting Watts To Amps And Vice Versa

upgrades going on. I would be surprised if they're all necessary. If they're not
*all* necessary, then my suggestion that people are doing unnecessary BIOS
upgrades is supported.

I wrote "I have fixed quite a few computers with bricked m/b...", thought it
will be clear that they were someone elses computers.

Tom

Re: Converting Watts To Amps And Vice Versa

Yes, so I assumed. But it still implies a signifcant rate of BIOS upgrades.

Sylvia.

Re: Converting Watts To Amps And Vice Versa

Not taking proper care during BIOS upgrades is the cause here, not the
unnecessary updating of BIOS or "unnecessary" BIOS updates being
released.

Many are for things that might not be relevant to you such as "support
new CPU", but if you update your CPU you will need these, even if you
dont need them now with your existing CPU.

even the cheapest UPS on the market would hold the PC up for long
enough to finish a BIOS update, unless BIOS sizes have bloated out
in recent couple of years and take 10's of minutes to flash.

Re: Converting Watts To Amps And Vice Versa

Had exactly that when my wife forgot to power her machine off prior to a
scheduled power outage. The blue screen flashed up for less than a
second, I ended up photographing it to see whet the problem was.

The problem was a corrupted registry file, but M$ make you jump through
hoops to recover when it could be quite simply automated if Windows
detected the situation.

Mind you, that is only the second such problem that I've seen ever. The
other was a DOS machine that lost power halfway through updating the
FAT. That was an interesting problem to fix, but the store manager (it
ran all his cash registers) was so happy to get his data back, that he
gave me a nice bottle of single malt scotch.

Re: Converting Watts To Amps And Vice Versa

The point I was making is that a significantly larger VA rated UPS
will have larger capacity batteries, and therefore will run
for longer on the same load.  Also if you lower the current drawn from
the battery, it lasts much longer.

If you are drawing 400w from a 12v battery (typically 6-7AH in these
units) that is a load of 33.3 A
In the 1600va unit I use, there are 2 series 7AH batteries.   This
will result in 16.6A load @ 24v

IF you look at the table on page 22 of this manual from a previous UPS
post, you can see that  by halving the current drawn
from the batteries, there are enormous increases in running time -
from 100% load to 50% load for example, the time you can
run the UPS quadruples. Halving the load at lower percentages has less
of an effect - but it still gives you more than double the run time.

http://www.powerqualityconsultants.com.au/uploads/Files/Liebert_Powersure_P =
ST_Assistant_-_User_Manual.pdf

You could put a much larger battery on a small UPS unit, but it will
probably take forever to charge, the inbuilt charger might not like
it,
heatsinking and ventilation of the UPS might only be adequate for the
amount of time a given load can expect to be powered by specified
battery,
not for significantly longer periods that a much larger battery would
provide.

For the case I mentioned where you want to keep a small load online
like the ADSL modem / VOIP,  2+ hours is possible with my setup.
A generator is overkill.

Commercial or critical setups are a different story.

Site Timeline