Connect sensors to a mobile phone

I have a small farm that is located in an area with mobile phone coverage. I
have installed some soil moisture and temperature sensors and have a pump
and watering system. I would like to be able to receive readings from the
sensors as SMS messages and then turn on/off the watering system from my
home about 150 km away, based on my decision about the dryness conditions,
again by sending an SMS. I have seen a few SMS controllers (Jaycar, Dick
Smith etc.) but none seem to do what I want.  Any suggestions?

Regards
Peter

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

These guys sure seem to have figured it out:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/ioerror/177534.html

Never thought I'd shudder at the sight of a hunk of Perfboard...

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

Or there is a commercial version here:

http://www.datacall.net.au /

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

Another one: http://www.radiodesign.com/GSM%20Sentry.pdf

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

http://www.picobox.biz/products_master.php
www.autobleep.com

A little pricey tho...

Does the phone have a modem port?

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

Try this

http://www.electrosense.com.au

Less than $200 and uses a spare Ericsson mobile phone

John

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

Probably no good as it it is not CDMA - not much digital service in the bush.

David

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

Hi Peter, the SMS kit at the various retailers is all the same kit!  I have
noted that Dick Smith is much more expensive than thes others.  I have
bought a kit but not assembled it yet.  One problem I have is that it is not
so easy to get the phone cable, so Ill have to make my own. Strathfield is
selling suitable clips for $3.95 at present.

Of course, if your pump and sensors are remote from each other it could
become an expensive affair as you may have to buy seperate controllers for
each location.  A reliable power supply is also required, and you may want
to measure pump volts as well so you know the pump can start.

Anyhow have fun and let us know how you go.
Regards
Paul

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

Hi Pete,
The kit from Jaycar will do exactly what you want to do.

Send me an e-mail if you need a schematic and some advice on how to control
your pumps.

I have done a similar project using the Jaycar kit as in Silicon Chip
magazine.

Regards
Vinnie

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

Paul and Vinnie

Thanks for the response.  I have looked at the Jaycar kit and it will do the
job if you only want to turn switches on and off and receive alarms etc.
There are quite a few other SMS controllers available that will also do
this.  I was looking for a device to actually send data from the sensors.

Regards
Peter

control
coverage.
pump
the
conditions,

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

Hi Peter, hmm, it seems that you might want to measure realtime.  sending
realtime SMS is going to cost you a fortune.  It seems better that you set a
minimum trigger value and it then causes the system to SMS you when the
trigger is reached.  Im thinking that the (a?) systm could be rigged that
you dial into rather than SMS.

hope this helps
Paul

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

the
my
Dick

Maybe go read the Silicon Chip (in the past 12 months I believe) issue which
dealed with this specific area. Apparently it can be done.

Cheers.

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

It would be a lot easier to set up a computer controlled system - eg a laptop
with input from those sensors and controlling the pump etc.  You could set it
up so you can log into the computer from your home to monitor what is
happening, and change settings as required.

David

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

Why keep yourself in the loop?

A local control system can do the control and then you could log into it
remotely occasionally, using the mobile terminal as the Modem. Or maybe
periodically upload the status to a web server and grab it from there.

SMS is not a very efficient communication channel - and in any case you will
need to parse and authenticate commands sent via SMS which will require some
custom hackery when making up the messages.

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

Is there the possibility of utilising Radio for sending data?

ie: could you set up a small trunking or repeater system to send the
data to your house?

Might this watering system be for some special plants that smoke good
when dried out??????????????????????????????
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha oohhh look at the bunnies, they're all coming to
get me, Aaarggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might also wanna install a Movement sensor or entry alarm, in case
some official people try to access your "farm" to see what you grow!

It could text you with the message "Shit, Shit, RAID IN PROGRESS"

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

Not practical with 150KM.

Very likely |-)

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

It's a rope farm?  :^)

Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

Try ETMpacific.com.au. They have GPRS/SMS microcontrollers meant for
this sort of control.

They will be more expensive than the SC kit, but you get what you pay
for.
I guess it avoids needing to get a phone as well.

Dale.

coverage. I
pump
the