Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

The Ambulance Service of NSW computer dispatch system became infected by a virus
at about 1pm (AEDT) on Saturday,
forcing staff to shut it down and revert to co-ordinating the state's paramedics
and ambulances via a manual paper-based
system.

The cause and source of the virus were unknown and the system was still offline
at 1pm (AEDT) on Sunday and it was not
known when it would be back up and running, Willis said.

http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/376471/computer_virus_shuts_down_ambulance_dispatch_service /

HUH?
Could they possibly be running a windows Operating System, without full back up
and recovery, for an ambulance dispatch
system?

Cheers Don...

=====================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

and recovery, for an ambulance dispatch

On a Sunday doubt if anyone working would be allowed to?
Most IT have they network so crippled no one wants to use it anyhow
--
Petzl
http://home.iprimus.com.au/petzl/Mono.htm

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

Could you retype that last sentance in English that makes a modicum of
sense, thank you.

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service
http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/376471/computer_virus_shuts_down_ambulance_dispatch_service /
  read it again
  anyone with a modicum of comprehension will manage it

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

If it was properly crippled, then this should not have happened.

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service
http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/376471/computer_virus_shuts_down_ambulance_dispatch_service /

In any case, critical systems shouldn't be connected to the internet,
and there should be an absolute ban (sacking on first offence) on

Sylvia.

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

We all know that, but they continue to do it.
Which is it; their maps are google maps or where is it?

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service
http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/376471/computer_virus_shuts_down_ambulance_dispatch_service /

There were problems when the system was initially installed a couple of
decades ago. I think there was even a 4-Corners program about how poor
the system was.

There was a recent tender for upgrades as well, and this sheds some
light into the operational system architecture.

From
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/5307/nsw_ambulance_service_seeks_data_centre_cure /

The core operational systems and services used by the service for call
taking and dispatching are VisiCAD version 1.10 for the primary
ambulance dispatch system to identify incident locations, and real-time
visual tracking of vehicles; a Genesys and Alcatel computer telephony
integration; CDAT to receive the matching Telstra Eclipse Data
associated with 000 emergency calls received through the Telstra
network; the Inter-CAD Electronic Messaging System (ICEMS) to allow
agency CAD systems to send and receive CAD jobs; an in-house, Web-based
electronic booking system to schedule non-urgent patient transport; a
the mobile data interface by which data is sent and received between the
operations centre CAD system and ambulance mobile data terminals via
several data radio networks.

The ICEMS protocol has been developed and tested by the NSW Fire
Brigades and Ambulance Service and will be deployed between those and
NSW Police with the next twelve months.

Other systems that integrate into the CAD system include: paging and
SMS, priority dispatch software, a custom Windows DLL for clinical
decision support, a call taking quality assurance application and the
Higher Ground voice recording application.

The service operates a centralized data warehouse which is continuously
updated with all VisiCAD and related data from each of the operations
centres for backup, DR and reporting purposes. Live operational data is
replicated in real time to a central data store at Rozelle in Sydney.
Replication covers all CAD SQL data and most of the other data sources.

In addition to the CAD data warehouse, the tender requests Genesys data
marts from each centre to be deposited into a central data mart.

The DR equipment is expected to be a mirror of the primary CAD data
centre, including three fully-populated blade enclosures; however, if
blades are not used then the equivalent would be about 50 HP
rack-mounted servers. There are also six stratus fault tolerant servers.
For storage an EMC SAN with between 30 to 40 disks is used.

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

It is based on a Computer Aided DRAWING system?

The original Genesys?

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

Almost definitely.

Wouldn't fix this problem. you need to remove the "infection"

Sigh, the number of places that have "virus protection". It was
installed three years ago but never updated or maintained.

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

A full reinstall and restore from a backup made before the infection
would do it. Mind you, determining when the infection occurred might be
difficult.

Perhaps just a full reinstall. It's an ambulance dispatch system - what
happened yesterday is already history.

Sylvia.

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

Sigh, it is a network?
Ever recovered a network from a virus installation?
Thought not.

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

Isolate each computer. Do a re-install on each computer. Only reconnect
computers to the network after a re-install.

Routers should be OK unless they've been set up to be remotely
reprogrammable, which they shouldn't be.

Sylvia.

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

But they may well not want to just lose that history.

They may not be legally allowed to just bin it regardless.

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

FULL means FULL.

My service provider backs up my FULL server
(http://server.the-wizard-from-oz.com /) every 4 hours, and saves 30 days of
these backups. The system is capable of providing hundreds of recovery points
per day. I have access to restore a
backup, from any point at any time.

And I'm running a 2 bob shopping cart, not a life critical ambulance dispatch
system.
http://www.ewdhosting.com/backup_system.html
http://www.ewdhosting.com/managed-vps-hosting.html

And as far as individual PC backup is concerned, I doubt if anyone is more
paranoid than I am about having enough FULL
backups available. It started when my wife unplugged my 4K PC in 1978, so she
could plug her iron into a double adapter.
I lost about 8 hours work. :-)

Cheers Don...

==========================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

Your "backup service is definitely nota FULL backup system.

So don't compare them.
Think network.

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service
(http://server.the-wizard-from-oz.com /) every 4 hours, and saves 30 days
points per day. I have access to restore a
system.

You didn't read my PC backup procedure also Terry?

If it is a network, then every item on the network must be restored to a working
condition. Bit by bit. Piece by piece.
Section isolate, then get it all on line.

Think Network?
I worked on (arguably) the world's first networked systems:
http://www.dontronics.com/first_multi_user_real_time.html

I just found out a bit more info on the system used:

TRAINEE CONTROL CENTRE OFFICER (NSW Ambulance dispatch service)
http://x2t.com/TRAINEE

1. Six weeks of classroom training in various systems such as VisiCAD,

Selection Criteria:
* Computer literacy with demonstrated experience in the use of windows based
computer applications and the ability to
transfer voice activated information into computerised data entry system.

It looks very much like it is a windows based system.

Cheers Don...

=======================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

Which will be another reason to push for internet censorship.  To
"protect" vital infrastructure.

Re: Computer virus shuts down Ambulance dispatch service

Nope, no one will buy that line now.

No reason for it to be net connected even if it does use the google maps
database.

Site Timeline