Computer temperature logging

Can someone suggest a temperature probe/system that can be attached to a PC for temperature logging?

Jackie

Reply to
Jackie

By FAR the best and one of the lowest cost ways to do this is with the Thermochron iButtons from Dallis/Maxim. They are fully self contained temp data loggers the size of a few

10cent pieces stacked. Programmable via the serial port.

You can stick them onto surfaces, dangle them on string for mid air measurements, submerge them underwater, and generally beat the crap out of them and they still keep ticking. I use them for heaps of stuff - I hang them off my harness (sometimes off my shoelaces) to measure canyon water and air temperatures, stick them all over the house for thermal profiling, and just recently used them to thermally profile a passive solar heater design. They are also fun to use for getting 3D thermal profile maps inside instruments and racks etc.

Farnell have the kit for about $60 which includes the download cable and a sample iButton.

Sample rate is programmble in 1 minutes intervals, and they also have histogramming and alarms. Data can be exported into Excel and other packages for analysis.

Only disadvantage is they aren't suitable for really high temperatures,

125C max.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Check out the QM-1538 digital multimeter from Jaycar. It costs $60.00 and comes with a temperature probe. It has an RS232 port to connect with your PC and the included software will log or graph the measurements.

Reply to
David Segall

Slightly O/T in the context of the O/P's requirement, but have you ever noticed how rarely the basic accuracy of DMM's at the Jaycar/Altronics/DSE places is ever disclosed in their advertising? And it is even rarer for the RS232-capable units.

Reply to
budgie

Why isn't the QM-1538 exactly a "temperature probe/system that can be attached to a PC for temperature logging"? While it is not clear from the post whether it is the PC that is being measured and/or being used for logging I don't see why the QM-1538 may not be suitable in any case.

Yes. If you are implying that the QM-1538 is not very accurate you are right. It's 0.75% +-3 from -50 to 200 degrees and 1.5% from 200 to 750 degrees.

Reply to
David Segall

RS232-capable

Maybe we're heading in different directions. The cited DMM may well be eminently suitable for the O/P's application, not knowing the accuracy he requires.

My comment related to the lack of accuracy specs on DMM's in general from that market sector, and on their 232-capable ones in particular. Not thermocouple accuracy on them, their basic (ie DCV) accuracy. No more, no less.

Reply to
budgie