Computer scam disappointment

Last night at around 18:00, I got a phone call from a Mike Johnson from a
"muffled (not very clear)" computer company.
Sounded like an Indian accent. Unusual I thought. :-)

He said I have a computer problem, and he would be able to help me fix it.

Well, so many have had this call in the past, and it was my first time, so I was
pretty enthusiastic to play the game.

Perhaps too enthusiastic, he hung up before we got started.
What a bitter disappointment.

I assume they are still catching plenty of people out still.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Computer scam disappointment

The natural response of an ideal mark is to express concern or worry.
This is what you have to simulate.

Sylvia.

Re: Computer scam disappointment
On Sat, 18 May 2013 14:40:05 +1000, Sylvia Else

I'm with Telstra and HAVE to have a landline phone?
Get these calls all the time never hang up tell them I'm getting
someone to answer and leave the phone by the TV

Not sure but wonder if a Internet phone will stop charging caller when
I do this?

Used to be if I call "you" on a landline and didn't hang up it would
disable your phone till I did. Not other way around (Landline to me is
unimportant)
--
Petzl
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left

Re: Computer scam disappointment

But you don't have to even have a phone plugged into it.

They don't get charged for the length of the call at
all, just for the call itself, and only cents for that too.

Nope. You would always see a B party disconnect
rather later, usually after about a minute and a half.

It was done like that so that when you were called,
you could unplug the phone, move it to somewhere
else in the house, plug it into the socket there, and
continue with the call that had just come in.

Yes there is, don't even have a phone plugged in at all.

Re: Computer scam disappointment

I just blast them with 110db from a personal security alarm :)

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: Computer scam disappointment

Talk quietly first
--
Petzl
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left

Re: Computer scam disappointment

Just think to yourself, "what would Winnie the Pooh say in a situation like
this?" ;-)

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: Computer scam disappointment

I play along and when they start asking for particulars mention that they
are talking to Interpol.

geoff

Re: Computer scam disappointment

"muffled (not very clear)" computer company.
was pretty enthusiastic to play the game.

They called me last week while I was doing my home brew, straight off
I asked him what the fuck he wanted (in those words), which he either
ignored or it went over his head.

I had the cordless handset so I thought why not string him along as it
wasn't slowing me down with the brewing. After about 25 minutes I got
a bit bored, so that's when I explained I was wasting his time.

He didn't like it... the discussion then got *very* interesting for
nearly another 20 minutes when I compared my lifestyle to his, being
in some cubicle in some sewer of a city in Africa before he finally
hung up.

He didn't believe I was an (retired) IT tech, because I couldn't
provide him with my 'I.D number' :)

Re: Computer scam disappointment

I got to play today.

First we got to visit the event log, where the reported errors were
claimed to be evidence of virus attacks. Without being prompted I opened
a report and told him that it said "Time not set". He just told me not
to open them, and alleged that it was dangerous to do so.

Then we went off to a command prompt, where he got me to enter an assoc
command. He drew my attention to the

.ZFSendToTarget=CLSID

line and told me that it was my computer's serial number (it's actually
always the same number), and proceeded to get me to start checking it as
he read it out. When he got to the 11CF part, I insisted that it was
11CD. This should have been his first real clue that I wasn't really a
mark. He started again, and again, when we reached 11CF I insisted that
it as 11CD. He brushed that off on the basis that the preceeding part
was the serial number, and 11CD etc part was something else.

Then he got me to go to a web site, and click on a link that would
download some software. He asked what I saw, and I said there was a
window that said "You don't want to run this." He asked whether there
was a button marked along the lines of "run anway". I said there was, so
he asked me to press it. I told him that I had, and that it said "You
really don't want to run this."

Then we had some discussion about whether I had a virus checker
installed. I said (falsely, as it happens) that I didn't.

So he then directed me to a different web page, and again click to
download a program. I said that a window came up saying "You don't want
to run this either."

And finally, he twigged.

Sheesh, these people are slow. No wonder they're working for Indian scam
call centres.

Sylvia.

Re: Computer scam disappointment

How do you do that?!
Did you disclose your phone number to them?

Re: Computer scam disappointment

No. I think they just target numbers are random. You just have to wait,
and be ready.

I've had a number of such calls. Sometimes I've played, and sometimes
I've just hung up on them. Depends on my mood and other demands on my time.

Sylvia.

Re: Computer scam disappointment

Now getting a lot of "0011976000" numbers during the afternoon towards evening meal time.

Have answered with: "I bought a jeep", and "I have been waiting for you to call as I missed you", and they always hang
up, or no speaky.

Google 0011976000 brings up some interesting results.

for example:
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-001-197-6000

Don...

--