Computer intefering with TV reception! Advice

I have my TV with an internal antenna in the same room with my computer. The
computer or the monitor (It's switched on all the time} is causing
disturbance and making the TV picture very bad. I cannot move either to a
different room - Is there something I can do to fix this problem - I'm in
rented accomodation so obviously I can't install an external antenna.
Regards

Re: Computer intefering with TV reception! Advice

"Paul"

** The real answer is to buy a digital STB.

Or, move the antenna to another room, out onto a balcony or similar   -
using a long extension lead.

......  Phil

Re: Computer intefering with TV reception! Advice

And if you buy an HD one they usually have a VGA connector so you can
connect it to your computer monitor and sell the TV. Alternatively,
you can get a digital tuner for the computer.

Re: Computer intefering with TV reception! Advice

If the computer monitor and Tv are both CRT types try increasing the
distance between the two, the interference is most likey magnetic.

If the interference is from the computer it's self it is most likely the
power supply, so make sure there is a distance between the computer and the
TV antenna.

Re: Computer intefering with TV reception! Advice

"Lozza92"

 **  ROTFLMAO    !!!!

 What an  absolute  HOOT   !!!!!

 This fool ought to be a stand up comic !!

 Steady Eddy has competition.

 **  100%  WRONG  again.

 The VHF & UHF bands are not significantly affected by  SMPS noise.

.......  Phil

Re: Computer intefering with TV reception! Advice

What haven't you ever seen the consaquences of placing two CRT devices close
together, you get wavey lines and in some cases it can put the picture on
the screen on a 45 degree angle.

This fool ought to be a stand up comic !!
 "Lozza92"

** Whaaaaaatttttttttt   ??????????

It just keeps getting better  !!!

This Lozenger idiot has never seen a video wall made with dozens of CRT
screens placed close as possible.

Plus has never noticed operating TV  sets stacked very close in a store on
display.

What a colossal ass  !!

Must be another compewter geek.

.......   Phil

Re: Phil ought to be a stand up comic !!

Poor Phil has no idea that computer monitors and TV can operate at
different frequencies, and the electromagnetic interference from one can
affect the other, causing beat frequencies to distort the picture,
especially if the TV or monitor are poorly shielded.

It doesn't affect toasters placed next to each other, so Phil would not
have experienced that phenomenon before.

David

Re: This fool ought to be a stand up comic !!

Many years ago i used to adjust the crappy video wall in the 'Waves'
nightclub in Adelaide.

They used Thompson monitors with an add on board with about an extra 8
geometry adjustments, heavy magnetic shielding on each CRT and still
needed about a half dozen permanent magnets on the backs of the tubes to
get the gemoetry right. all the tubes had to be inverted since they
where manufactured in the northern hemispheere and no amount of
adjustment could get them right originally.

putting CRTs right next to each other does cause issues even running
identical sync. 50Hz vs 75Hz yokes next to each other will also cause
some 'wobble' for sure.

Regarding computer interfereing with a TV analog signal .. it will. the
whole damn computer is about 500 little broadband transmitters. Its not
magnetic interference causing reception problems though. not exactly
anyway .. its HF electromagnetic as opposed to LF electromagnetic from
the monitor.

any weak RF signal will be trashed by it.

you can prove it by turning just the monitor off when the computer is on
.. bet there is still no decent picture.

Buy a $50 set top box  and forget the analog. better yet , get a HD one
and enjoy some more channels as well.

The squiggly coloured lines sound more like degaussing at turn on ..
don't panic, its a good thing.

Col

Site Timeline