Computer intefering with TV reception! Advice

I have my TV with an internal antenna in the same room with my computer. The computer or the monitor (It's switched on all the time} is causing disturbance and making the TV picture very bad. I cannot move either to a different room - Is there something I can do to fix this problem - I'm in rented accomodation so obviously I can't install an external antenna. Regards

Reply to
Paul

"Paul"

** The real answer is to buy a digital STB.

Or, move the antenna to another room, out onto a balcony or similar - using a long extension lead.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

And if you buy an HD one they usually have a VGA connector so you can connect it to your computer monitor and sell the TV. Alternatively, you can get a digital tuner for the computer.

Reply to
David Segall

If the computer monitor and Tv are both CRT types try increasing the distance between the two, the interference is most likey magnetic.

If the interference is from the computer it's self it is most likely the power supply, so make sure there is a distance between the computer and the TV antenna.

Reply to
Lozza92

"Lozza92"

** ROTFLMAO !!!!

What an absolute HOOT !!!!!

This fool ought to be a stand up comic !!

Steady Eddy has competition.

** 100% WRONG again.

The VHF & UHF bands are not significantly affected by SMPS noise.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

What haven't you ever seen the consaquences of placing two CRT devices close together, you get wavey lines and in some cases it can put the picture on the screen on a 45 degree angle.

Reply to
Lozza92

"Lozza92"

** Whaaaaaatttttttttt ??????????

It just keeps getting better !!!

This Lozenger idiot has never seen a video wall made with dozens of CRT screens placed close as possible.

Plus has never noticed operating TV sets stacked very close in a store on display.

What a colossal ass !!

Must be another compewter geek.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Poor Phil has no idea that computer monitors and TV can operate at different frequencies, and the electromagnetic interference from one can affect the other, causing beat frequencies to distort the picture, especially if the TV or monitor are poorly shielded.

It doesn't affect toasters placed next to each other, so Phil would not have experienced that phenomenon before.

David

Reply to
David

Many years ago i used to adjust the crappy video wall in the 'Waves' nightclub in Adelaide.

They used Thompson monitors with an add on board with about an extra 8 geometry adjustments, heavy magnetic shielding on each CRT and still needed about a half dozen permanent magnets on the backs of the tubes to get the gemoetry right. all the tubes had to be inverted since they where manufactured in the northern hemispheere and no amount of adjustment could get them right originally.

putting CRTs right next to each other does cause issues even running identical sync. 50Hz vs 75Hz yokes next to each other will also cause some 'wobble' for sure.

Regarding computer interfereing with a TV analog signal .. it will. the whole damn computer is about 500 little broadband transmitters. Its not magnetic interference causing reception problems though. not exactly anyway .. its HF electromagnetic as opposed to LF electromagnetic from the monitor.

any weak RF signal will be trashed by it.

you can prove it by turning just the monitor off when the computer is on .. bet there is still no decent picture.

Buy a $50 set top box and forget the analog. better yet , get a HD one and enjoy some more channels as well.

The squiggly coloured lines sound more like degaussing at turn on .. don't panic, its a good thing.

Col

Reply to
Col H