Component Prices Rip off in Australia - Page 3

Re: Component Prices Rip off in Australia

The 'Dick Smith Way' by Ike Bain touches on this a bit.

Two points:

1. Woolworths is an Australian company.  Dick doesn't much care if things
are made overseas, but he has a thing about Aussie ownership.

2.  Dick was always on top of new trends. I think he would probably rather
see the company change and grow than not change and remain small.

Although during his Australian Geographic days he was very critical about
whether to go for growth or not.  Eg he wanted to limit subscriber numbers
but was convinced otherwise.

Peter

Re: Component Prices Rip off in Australia

Funny. Wonder who owns the Woolworth's in Frankfurt then,
where I bought my alarm clock?

 >  Dick doesn't much care if things

B&^% idiot. It matter more where things are made (value created)
than where they're sold. Buy Australian? Humbug! I've always
thought it was more important to *sell* Australian. You can
sell all the imported crap in Australia you want, and barely
add a cent of value to the value of Australia. But OTOH when
you make something here that the world wants to buy, that's a
different story.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Component Prices Rip off in Australia

Are you really sure?

Yes, he wants an aussie (himself) to own as many overseas goods as possible.
(And the distinction is rather stupid otherwise)

MrT.

Re: Component Prices Rip off in Australia

http://www.woolworthslimited.com.au/aboutus/ourcompany/index.asp

http://bosswatch.labor.net.au/display.php?type=cmp&cid14%3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.W._Woolworth_Company

Peter

Re: Component Prices Rip off in Australia

OK, didn't know that, that's why I didn't say you were wrong :-)

MrT.

Re: Component Prices Rip off in Australia

It is an Australian Company:

"The similarly named Woolworths supermarkets in Australia and New
Zealand are operated by Woolworths Limited, a separate company with no
historical links to the F. W. Woolworth Company"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworths_Limited

Re: Component Prices Rip off in Australia

Must be an echo on the line :-)

MrT.

Re: Component Prices Rip off in Australia

Thanks Bob; I wrote a fair chunk of it.  If there's anything you wish to add
it's easy to do so, even if you're not a registered contributor.

Peter

Re: Component Prices Rip off in Australia

Let me guess, you want a wide range of components in stock and cheap
too?
It doesn't happen. If you want "cheap" then you'll wait 4-10 weeks, and
have to deal with a few dozen suppliers.
Farnell and RS aren't *that* bad, I know many compnaies that use them
almost exclusively for volume production because stock availability and
the kitting services are more important than price, they just build the
price into the product.
Many Farnell and RS prices are very competitive, and even cheap
considering the service you get.

Dave :)

Re: Component Prices Rip off in Australia

I'm surprised none of the other posters have mentioned futurlec
(www.futurlec.com.au).

I've been using them for a year or two now.  They ship out of Thailand
and their prices are usually hard to beat.  Interestingly, their
shipping costs ($4) are usually lower than every Australian based
supplier.  The postage charges on mail order stuff now (like ebay) is
part of the profit margin for many.

Cheers
Glenn

Re: Component Prices Rip off in Australia

I placed my first order with them in July and haven't received it yet. They
haven't responded to any of my emails either, so I'm not too impressed with
them so far.

Re: Component Prices Rip off in Australia

Futurlec can be a very mixed bag, and have been for years.
You will find they are loved by some, and hated by others, very much the same as
above.

Google on: futurlec bad

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: Component Prices Rip off in Australia

**  Groper menace.

**  Farnell will still sell you 50 off 1N4148 diodes for $1.50 + gst.

   Or 10 off  20 x 5 mm "Littelfuse"  antisurge fuses for $3.44 + gst.

.......  Phil

Site Timeline