Competency tests for electronics tests

Has anyone a link to a basic technican test for job application
screening that they have used and found to work OK? I can find
some but would like one that is a little proven. If you can't
tell, I am not using head-hunters at all for this.

Purpose is for a technician to find production faults on hand
soldered assys, and assist service with repairs. Industry is
scientific with high voltages, RF and sensitive analog.

Re: Competency tests for electronics technicians

edit heading

Re: Competency tests for electronics technicians

Yeah, I was about to say "Failed"  ;-)

geoff (the other)

Re: Competency tests for electronics tests

"Geoff"

** Are you after a written test, some kind of practical test or a series of
questions ?

Do you want a non-technical / incompetent person to be able to tell who is
the most competent of the applicants ?

Do you want to buy the Sydney Harbour bridge ?

...   Phil

Re: Competency tests for electronics tests

Written test with series of questions, 1 hour or so duration.
The test reviewers will be 2 reviewers, one technical
experienced engineer, and one manager with broad scientific
competence. The test will be prior to the interview, and the
test is expected to cull a list of 50 applicants to about 5.
The test is not intended to be a final answer as to the
applicants suitability, but an indicator of knowledge,
thinking process and communication skills.

Nah, one hurdle at a time.

Re: Competency tests for electronics tests

"Geoff"

** If your people cannot come up with the relevant questions themselves  -
then they will never be able to asses the answers.

Also, many production techs who would be good at your job may not be good at
written tests or the delicate art of self praise, making it likely that the
best candidate will NOT end up in your top 5.

I think you are still in line to buy the Sydney Harbour bridge.

Better to come up with some practical examples of the kind of fault finding
you need done and give candidates a go at them -  then talk about the
results with each.

...  Phil

:
: Purpose is for a technician to find production faults on hand
: soldered assys, and assist service with repairs. Industry is
: scientific with high voltages, RF and sensitive analog.

I got work at Marconi Instruments (Service Division) in the UK in the '70s.
The interview consisted of me saying that I had my Amateur (Ham) Radio Licence,
and describing what a circuit diagram did. (A signal generator, TF801)

Colin

Re: Competency tests for electronics tests

I dont have any hard info, but my observation is that fault-finding in a
newly built product is a totally different skill to doing a repair on a
failed ( but previously working ) device.  And very much harder, since
almost anything can be wrong, often there can be several faults.

My usual question with anybody though is to ask "Where would you start
?"  If the answer is not "the power supply" then they fail.

Re: Competency tests for electronics tests

"Adrian Jansen"

** In an assembly operation, examples of PCBs and finished products that DO
work are available for comparison with each non working example. After a
while, techs can get very "hawk eyed" at spotting wrong parts and parts in
backwards etc.

I once had the job of de-bugging analogue audio processors from the USA that
looked like they had been assembled and tested by Mexican children. There
were ICs installed backwards in sockets, wrong value resistors all over the
place, bad soldering and even a few that tripped my ELCB soon as they were
plugged in.

Turned out screws that held the lid on easily punctured the primary winding
of the AC tranny !!

When new AC trannys arrived to solve the above, they had been engineered for
60Hz operation and ran at over 100C on 50Hz !!!

** The hardest of all is when an incompetent has been there before you and
you have only the one, faulty unit to look at.

Then all bets are off, you can assume nothing and must check every resistor
cap and semi against the schematic to see if it is right and round the right
way.

Servicing kits is pure hell.

...  Phil

Site Timeline