Commercial "LCD" glass

I saw an interesting segment on TV this morning, with a commercial
sliding door that could be electronically switched from transparent to
opaque. I presume it's something similar to LCD.

I wonder if this could be used as fancy electronic window coverings in
a residence? :)

Re: Commercial "LCD" glass

Check into a modern hotel in Tokyo for a demo :-)

--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P

Re: Commercial "LCD" glass

If you are in Melbourne and want to see it in action ask for a tour of
Telstra's Global Operations Centre in Clayton.  The viewing room has this
facility for the glassed area facing the main operations floor space.
Impressive, and it operates very quickly from clear to fully opaque and vice
versa.  Nothing new.  The switchable windows have been in use at the GOC
since it was put into operation in the 1990s.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Commercial "LCD" glass

Evidently it also works as a projection screen.

Re: Commercial "LCD" glass

Is it available in small quantities? It seems ideal for protecting my
car number plate from the weather :)

Re: Commercial "LCD" glass

LOL

Re: Commercial "LCD" glass

    Naturally someone's already thought of it and is flogging them. Have
a look at http://www.hideaplate.com/h/hideaplate/index.cfm (if you can
see this posting amongst hundreds of garbage ones).

Bob

Re: Commercial "LCD" glass

I think it is interesting that  the first mooted use for the technology of
transparent/opaque glass using liquid crystal was as a glass wall,
transparent during the day, opaque at night. Nothing came of it. I read of
it in Popular Science, or Popular Mechanics, in the late nineteen forties.
Loved those magazines!

Re: Commercial "LCD" glass

Have a look at this.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-LCD-Welding-Helmet-Mask-for-ARC-MIG-TIG-Plasma_W0QQitemZ130098564458QQcategoryZ46413QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
These have been around for a couple of years, same sort of deal.

Re: Commercial "LCD" glass

I think I read somewhere that they used this technology for some swish
toilets somewhere where you could see the architects 'clean' creation
when the cubicle was unoccupied and it went opaque when occupied.

Apparently it used a motion sensor to detect the occupied state but
had a minor short-coming in the design when people fell asleep
inside...

Re: Commercial "LCD" glass

    The motion sensor sounds like a good idea. ;-)

Re: Commercial "LCD" glass

I thought that was the idea, to stop people staying inside too long? It
sounds a warning buzzer before going clear.

Doesn't the Blue Mt's skyway car also use an LCD glass floor? Apparently so
you can look down when over the gorge, but men underneath can't look up
women's dresses when the car approaches the platform :-)

MrT.

Re: Commercial "LCD" glass

Does anyone know of any commercially available residential solutions?
We're building a new house soon.

Re: Commercial "LCD" glass

There's a restaurant in Milton, Brisbane, that has this glass in its
toilets.  VERY disturbing, so my wife says.

Dave