Coles Digital Set Top Box - Page 2

Re: Coles Digital Set Top Box

"Dave Goldfinch"

 **  Nearly all sets have it now.

 A very decent 68cm with full AV can be bought for under $400.

**  No need for that expense to appreciate the HUGE  improvement  S-Video
makes.

Use it with your DVD player too.

Digital TV and  typical DVD quality are practically the same.

.........  Phil

Re: Coles Digital Set Top Box

IMHO a widescreen set with composite is better than a 4:3 with S-Video
any day. Hang out for the widesreen set Dave, I think a 76cm can be had
for around $600 or so these days. 100Hz is worth paying the extra for
though.
The majority of digital TV content is widescreen, so doesn't look
nearly as good on a 4:3 set. You can zoom in of course, or fit to
screen, but then you either lose content or have a distorted image.

Yep, much better than analog.
Although I still find that you can see the compression artefacts in
high speed sports footage which I find a bit annoying sometimes.

Dave :)

Re: Coles Digital Set Top Box

"David L. Jones"

 ** Absolute bullshit.

  Using composite blurs the pic and colour quality on any screen.

** The vast majority of SD TV is in "letterbox " mode.

Plus nothing looks  WORSE   than a  4:3  image on a wide screen set  -  that
means many movies and even some commercials.

 **  Neither is true.

**  Not inherent in the SD format -  but a result of deliberate limiting of
bit rates by the networks.

     An SD signal can have a higher bit rate than a DVD.

........  Phil

Re: Coles Digital Set Top Box

You should try watching Foxtel satellite sometime - I think you'd be
very annoyed! :-\

Re: Coles Digital Set Top Box

You should try watching Foxtel satellite sometime - I think you'd be
very annoyed! :-\

Re: Coles Digital Set Top Box

I'm a little surprised they'd do that. The Sky digital (via satellite) here
in NZ shows no such artifacts, whereas in French Polynesia recently I
noticed it even in normal programming when quick action took place.
Scrimping on bandwidth in the islands I can understand, but it's pretty
inexcusable over Foxtel.

Cheers.

Ken

Re: Coles Digital Set Top Box

My Thomson STB has a 3.5mm stereo socket for the S-Video connection.
Not uncommon these days.

Dave :)

Site Timeline