Cold Cathode or Fluro Tube?

Recieved a back-lit item today that is all well and good, but on looking inside it (the PCB was loose and rattlin, had to re-secure) I found a rather curious white light tube .. Dunno if its CCFL or Fluro, just wondering if anyone knows a source for similar tubes to these and their driver circuits? And even a possible cost? Curious into looking into making my own signs like the one I recieved today :)

Reply to
Lord-Data

Oops, meant to include a photo of it:

Lord-Data

Seems to have four wires to the tube which would make it an ordinary fluoro with an electronic ballast. It would have two wires to the tube if it were cold cathode, I think. The circuitry inside a compact fluorescent lamp is similar to what's in your photo. The circuit board from an Osram compact fluorescent that I accidentally smashed can run a normal fluorescent lamp quite nicely, though it would not be a good idea to sell something like that because it would be difficult to ensure that it complies with the safety regulations in its modified form. You could buy something like an Osram Quicktronic ballast they seem very good but quite expensive (except on ebay where they might be the opposite on both counts).

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Looks like a fairly ordinary ring-shaped fluoro. except this one is oval shaped... If you take it to a lighting place they can probably source some more like it.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Excellent .. Now all i've gotta do is work out how to print onto white plexi, and I can make my own signs .. gotta be cheaper than buying these things off ebay :)

Reply to
Lord-Data

You can just inkjet print onto "backlit film" a white translucent film designed for light boxes.

Reply to
Poxy

Hmm.. never heard of the stuff, but sounds great :) I'll shop around for some :)

Reply to
Lord-Data

I've never actually bought any for my inkjet, but I know Canon used to offer it as part of their range of papers - it's certainly common at graphics bureaus, although they use it off rolls for their large format inkjets.

Reply to
Poxy