Cold Cathode or Fluro Tube?

Recieved a back-lit item today that is all well and good, but on looking
inside it (the PCB was loose and rattlin, had to re-secure) I found a rather
curious white light tube .. Dunno if its CCFL or Fluro, just wondering if
anyone knows a source for similar tubes to these and their driver circuits?
And even a possible cost? Curious into looking into making my own signs like
the one I recieved today :)

Re: Cold Cathode or Fluro Tube?

Oops, meant to include a photo of it:

http://www.vidguide.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=Misc-Gallery&id=ebay_048&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Re: Cold Cathode or Fluro Tube?

http://www.vidguide.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=Misc-Gallery&id=ebay_048&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Seems to have four wires to the tube which would make it an ordinary fluoro
with an electronic ballast.  It would have two wires to the tube if it were
cold cathode, I think.  The circuitry inside a compact fluorescent lamp is
similar to what's in your photo.  The circuit board from an Osram compact
fluorescent that I accidentally smashed can run a normal fluorescent lamp
quite nicely, though it would not be a good idea to sell something like
that because it would be difficult to ensure that it complies with the
safety regulations in its modified form.  You could buy something like an
Osram Quicktronic ballast they seem very good but quite expensive (except
on ebay where they might be the opposite on both counts).

Chris

Re: Cold Cathode or Fluro Tube?

Looks like a fairly ordinary ring-shaped fluoro. except this one is oval
shaped... If you take it to a lighting place they can probably source
some more like it.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Cold Cathode or Fluro Tube?

Excellent .. Now all i've gotta do is work out how to print onto white
plexi, and I can make my own signs .. gotta be cheaper than buying these
things off ebay :)

Re: Cold Cathode or Fluro Tube?

You can just inkjet print onto "backlit film" a white translucent film
designed for light boxes.

Re: Cold Cathode or Fluro Tube?

Hmm.. never heard of the stuff, but sounds great :) I'll shop around for
some :)

Re: Cold Cathode or Fluro Tube?

I've never actually bought any for my inkjet, but I know Canon used to offer
it as part of their range of papers - it's certainly common at graphics
bureaus, although they use it off rolls for their large format inkjets.

Site Timeline