ly

of

he

of

out

nd

ra

he

I also remember seeing pics years ago from an ex telecom guy I knew, where a small telephone exchange and tower had been destroyed on an island up north in a cyclone and the only access was through a sand track through a rainforest type environment, and uphill. To get the new exchange and gear through (looked about the size of a small shipping container) took nearly 3 weeks to go about 20 km. Men had to work around the clock with chainsaws and other gear to clear a path for the truck that carried it. Where it was located was not a populated area, so there were no efforts by emergency services to do this work.

I clearly remember pics of what was left of a Dunlite wind generator that had had its blades bent fully back by the force of the wind before coming down. There wasn't mains power in the area it seems.

Meanwhile to keep essential services on the air, they had some sort of temporary portable setup there, manned, and had to keep bringing in fuel for the generator and supplies by chopper every few days.

This all had to be done in the middle of a disaster when everything was in short supply and it was a huge hassle to get anything in even for emergency services. I don't think the accommodation would have been very nice for the workers either.

Stuff like that takes a lot of dedication, exhaustion and time away from your family to live in a shit hot, humid environment for some time. If any of the crew were local, they might not have had a home to go back to.

As for Telecom, It probably killed many years worth of revenue from those subscribers in the costs involved in repairing the damage

If they had to do a few bodgy jobs to get things back on air fast, even with risk of it failing in a short time, then its better than having nothing. We have all done it in our various fields when we have had to.

Reply to
kreed

?? "branded as incompetent all Telstra (and it's fore runners) staff right at the start." ALL??

If you actually read what I posted ("Only goes to show that Telstra continue to employ people without a clue.") it says nothing of the sort.

You Telstra apologists need to get a life.

Reply to
who where

Let's see now: Quotes from you. "Telecom and predecessors were the biggest sheltered monopoly this country is ever likely to see". "Only goes to show that Telstra continue to employ people without a clue". "What's the betting in today's understaffed outfit (supplemented by contractors) some shiny-bum said "that's back on the air, now let's focus on other things" rather than addressing the vulnerability of their temp fix". "inexperience (or worse, a couldn't care less attitude). And if it was anticipated, the inference is less friendly". Anyone with at least half a brain (lets you out) would take that as referring to ALL Telstra and Staff, right back to the PMG. It's almost amusing that you seem to think you have the right to libel Telstra and it's Staff while operating in anonymity but start to get upset when I called you various things. As to me reacting like I have, by your comments you have effectively libelled me as well, so yes, I do take it personally.

Here's a thought, if you're capable of it. Have the courage to not only identify yourself, but make those comments publically. I'm sure that the Staff who have to do those repairs would love to meet you.

All for the sake of a NON story. You really are an idiot.

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD