Cockies in the cable - Page 2

Re: Cockies in the cable

I've spent enough time doing maintenance work in places like Derby and
Kununurra to know what it takes, thanks for asking.

You're the one who raised the topic of competition.  And they didn't
have any back then.

Nothing to do with mobiles.  Apart from a corporate Motorola analog
I've never had the "pleasure" of using Telstra's mobile network.

But I *do* have a long experience of their landline services, both
POTS and leased lines.

I'm sure.

But back on topic, why the cocky attack was not anticipated screams
inexperience (or worse, a couldn't care less attitude).  And if it was
anticipated, the inference is less friendly.

Re: Cockies in the cable

I re-read the original stories and for someone claiming to have worked up in
that area you display an ignorance of what is required to do a permanent
repair, let alone in remote locations. How do you expect them to get heavy
cable ploughing & trenching equipment in to an area still subject to
flooding until the end of the Wet Season? The choice will come down to doing
an immediate temporary patch up or waiting weeks to get to do something more
permanent, but I doubt that Customers off the air will tolerate that. If
this was a major trunk connection it has to be attended to very urgently,
even in a temporary manner. Of course repairs are going to be temporary and
I'm sure that there are plenty of similar urgent repairs that have happened
in QLD/NSW/Vic with this seasons floods everywhere. Not all replacements can
happen immediately when for example you have bridges destroyed that were
themselves being used as crossing points for some services. There are things
like manpower and equipment limitations to get all jobs done to your
satisfaction immediately. For that blame Politicians, not the people on the
front line who are mostly the people on the receiving end of the bitching
from whingers like you who think that only they are the priority. You could
of course go to an alternative supplier and ask them to provide services in
those areas, but don't hold your breath as they will only go where they can
make a good profit, not because of social responsibility to cover the whole
of Australia.

From all the staff I worked with who were involved in restoration work in
remote areas I only ever saw dedication to getting Customers back on line as
quickly as possible while having to put up with very trying work conditions,
long hours and long distance travel, and of course the odd whinger like you.
They deserve better support from above and definitely better from the likes
of you.

PhilD

Re: Cockies in the cable

thanks Phil for your wonderfully objective assessment of Telstra's
efforts.  I expected no less from you.

And yes, I *have* been personally "sleeves rolled up and tools in
hand" doing 14-16 hour days, ten days straight, in immediate
post-cyclone service restoration.

But again, in case you missed it, this isn't about me (or you) - it's
about the fact that a cocky attack seems to have been unexpected.

Re: Cockies in the cable

Give up why don't you. The story read as an interest story on what happens
when animals attack. It's a "shit happens" event not worthy of any more than
passing interest, and a new patch cable. Except that it happened to Telstra
is not relevant as it happens all over the Country, and elsewhere, and has
been happening for as long as man has entered their domain. Birds, Wombats,
Ants, Termites, tree roots and numerous others all try their best to enjoy
themselves on what we do. It happens to to Telco's, electricity suppliers,
water/sewerage suppliers etc all the time, but do you denigrate all of them
each time something fails?

Build a bridge and get over it, shit happens and will continue to do so.
Nature will continue to show up Man's weaknesses where ever it can and the
best we can do is marvel at their ability and determination and try harder
to defeat them. Short of killing all wildlife you're not going to eliminate
it all together. You can try to minimise the risk, but the story is about
getting communications links back and working in a temporary fashion ASAP in
remote locations. Until conditions improve where ever this happens you can
never get a permanent repair done.

To try and use this event as a means to express your personal grievances
with Telstra more means that you need to get a life. To denigrate Telstra
staff on this one event does a disservice to all and just shows you to be
just a petty whinging shit. You may get some attention in the short term
with your whinging, but the stories of the bird exploits will far outlast
you and they at least will be smiled at, you will easily be forgotten.

PhilD

Re: Cockies in the cable

My comments have nothing to do with personal grievances, just an
observation that the outcome could/should have been foreseen.

You, on the other hand, go off the deep end as an ex-Telecom/Telstra
person.  "Methinks he doth protest too much"

Re: Cockies in the cable

No, but I know and worked with many of the people doing that work and in
much of the same areas. I can assure you that I never saw any that didn't
put in a great effort to get people back on line ASAP, often with very
little in the way of thanks other than that they were paid to do it.

The best thing you could do is log off, change your moniker and reappear
commenting on a different subject that you may have at least some
credibility about, because you've shown none here. You're also wrong on the
"methinks" bit because apparently you don't.

The only thing you've proved is that some people (your parents) should never
have been allowed to breed.

PhilD

Re: Cockies in the cable

You've only established one thing so far - when you're in an argument
you can't help but resort to personal attacks. Pretty piss-weak in my
view.

Re: Cockies in the cable

Give it up, you're the one who branded as incompetent all Telstra (and it's
fore runners) staff right at the start. You're so bloody hopeless you can't
even remember your own statements. The first rule a bullshit artist like you
should learn is ALWAYS REMEMBER YOUR CRAP.

Like I said, logoff and create a new identity, you've used this one up.

PhilD

Re: Cockies in the cable

?? "branded as incompetent all Telstra (and it's fore runners) staff
right at the start."  ALL??

If you actually read what I posted ("Only goes to show that Telstra
continue to employ people without a clue.") it says nothing of the
sort.

You Telstra apologists need to get a life.

Re: Cockies in the cable

Let's see now: Quotes from you.
"Telecom and predecessors were the biggest sheltered monopoly this
country is ever likely to see".
"Only goes to show that Telstra continue to employ people without a
clue".
"What's the betting in today's understaffed outfit (supplemented by
contractors)
some shiny-bum said "that's back on the air, now let's focus on other
things" rather than addressing the vulnerability of their temp fix".
"inexperience (or worse, a couldn't care less attitude).  And if it was
anticipated, the inference is less friendly".
Anyone with at least half a brain (lets you out) would take that as
referring to ALL Telstra and Staff, right back to the PMG. It's almost
amusing that you seem to think you have the right to libel Telstra and it's
Staff while operating in anonymity but start to get upset when I called you
various things. As to me reacting like I have, by your comments you have
effectively libelled me as well, so yes, I do take it personally.

Here's a thought, if you're capable of it. Have the courage to not only
identify yourself, but make those comments publically. I'm sure that the
Staff who have to do those repairs would love to meet you.

All for the sake of a NON story. You really are an idiot.

PhilD

Re: Cockies in the cable

Nope, its actually about there not being any viable alternative available at the
time.

Re: Cockies in the cable
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 05:46:11 +1000, "Rod Speed"

the time.

Cite?

Re: Cockies in the cable

the time.

Dont need a cite for something as basic as that.

Have fun listing what viable alternatives were available at that time that
werent used.

And YOU made that claim.

YOU get to do the citing anyway.

Re: Cockies in the cable
the time.
  With a reputation as shitty as your there is a dire need to see a cite
and nothing but a fool opinion would claim otherwise
werent used.
  You failed to prove the facts wrong
Not how it works dickhead , you claim otherwise  you prove

Re: Cockies in the cable

I would regard myself as an outsider in this personal issue and it's the
dickhead "who where" that needs dealing with in this case. I would agree
with the comment by Rod. The people who go out and do these faults don't
always start the trip to the fault knowing what has to be done. So often its
location could be identified but what they will find there could be far
worse than anticipated. Regardless of issues of staff/equipment shortages
you don't go to an unknown fault location with trenching/ploughing gear,
km's of new fibre and a large crew. It can be down to a single person who
has driven a very large distance in a van, or a light aircraft with limited
equipment, or a helicopter with even less gear, then a borrowed vehicle to
the site. At times even a hovercraft has been trialled or just a plain ally
dinghy. The cause of the fault could be as a result of flooding that have
taken out roads that stop a full repair job. To expect that every fault will
allow a full repair crew and heavy equipment to access the site immediately
is just ridiculous. You can't compare how a repair might be handled in a
Capital City to what happens in remote areas of the tropics in the middle of
the Wet Season. As the subject repair was done in a temporary manner it
should be accepted that it was just the appropriate thing to be done at the
time. That it was then subjected to the Cockie attack is just one of those
bad luck things. Unless anyone can prove that there was more to it, people
should just accept it as that and move on. The story reads more like one of
those animal interest stories that are used by the media to fill in when
there's no real news.

One of the earliest stories we used to hear was about repair crews going out
to an open cct open wire line to find that overnight thieves had stolen
miles of copper wire. You just can't attend every fault with every bit of
equipment to repair every conceivable fault. This is no less true these
days.

That the dickhead "who where" has fixated on the word's "not anticipated"
while failing to give equal relevance to the word "temporary" just shows a
lack of education as it apparently hasn't got that far in the dictionary
yet. That the dickhead had expectations that more should have been done and
claiming that it had worked in that region and infers that it knows the
conditions must be bullshit. Claims of having worked in Derby and Kununurra
is meaningless to the remote sites the repair crews have to access. If the
faults were only within those places with the access to all they needed the
staff would be overjoyed.

PhilD

Re: Cockies in the cable

I also remember seeing pics years ago from an ex telecom guy I knew,
where a small telephone exchange and tower had been destroyed on an
island up north in a cyclone and the only access was through a sand
track through a rainforest type environment, and uphill.   To get the
new exchange and gear through (looked about the size of a small
shipping container) took nearly 3 weeks to go about 20 km.  Men had to
work around the clock with chainsaws and other gear to clear a path
for the truck that carried it.  Where it was located was not a
populated area, so there were no efforts by emergency services to do
this work.

I clearly remember pics of what was left of a Dunlite wind generator
that had had its blades bent fully back by the force of the wind
before coming down. There wasn't mains power in the area it seems.

Meanwhile to keep essential services on the air, they had some sort of
temporary portable setup there, manned, and had to keep bringing in
fuel for the generator and supplies by chopper every few days.

This all had to be done in the middle of a disaster when everything
was in short supply and it was a huge hassle to get anything in even
for emergency services. I don't think the accommodation would have
been very nice for the workers either.

Stuff like that takes a lot of dedication, exhaustion and  time away
from your family to live in a shit hot, humid environment for some
time.
If any of the crew were local, they might not have had a home to go
back to.

As for Telecom, It probably killed many years worth of revenue from
those subscribers in the costs involved in repairing the damage

If they had to do a few bodgy jobs to get things back on air fast,
even with risk of it failing in a short time, then its better than
having nothing.
We have all done it in our various fields when we have had to.

Re: Cockies in the cable

want it back ASAP.

back then.

Or that that temporary fix was better than nothing when they had
no cockatoo proof alternative available.

Nope. Not if there was no alternative readily available for a temporary fix.

Re: Cockies in the cable

Friggin white cockies landed on my new TV antenna this morning.

4 per side on the largest element, one bastard on the end was swinging
upside down just to take the piss.

They pulled off all the little black plastic end plugs and flew off leaving
one of the elements bent. Bastards.

Re: Cockies in the cable

Thats what shotguns are for.

Re: Cockies in the cable
Lead by demonstration woddles and apply it to your large flapping lips

--

Site Timeline