Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

I'm about to help my son connect up a couple of TV outlets in a home he has
just bought - despite the aerial, there were NONE in it, believe it or not,
just cable.  I went looking online at the 75 ohm cable available from DSE
and Jaycar.  Whilst I've done this sort of thing before, I hadn't realised
the variety of cable that is available.

The longest run will be about 12m.  The area is one of reasonable signal
strength and whilst they don't have DTV at present, I expect they'll be in
the house long enough for it to become an issue.

Can anyone (politely) suggest what cable characteristics I should be looking
for? I'm going to need about 20m and don't want to waste either too much or
too little of his money!
Thanks
Dave

Re: Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

you need at least RG59 au but I suggest RG6 quad shield
  where in Brisbane are you ?

Re: Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

Thanks for the suggestion.

He's in The Gap

Re: Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

You should be able to pick up good reception in The Gap using a straightened
paper clip plugged in TV antenna socket... No need to run cables from the roof!
I used to live there.

Tom

Re: Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

My TAFE teacher told us that he was building a new house about two km
from the Mt Lennard TV transmitter near Bunbury. He carefully ran the
coax through the double brick wall to an outlet in the lounge room, but
on moving into the house he found he had a really bad picture. After
doing a few checks he found that the signal was far too strong and ended
up with a two inch stub of wire on the back of the TV as the antenna.

Dofus

Re: Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

"vwq47"

**   Why not this one ?

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/46d412eb08359a4a2740c0a87f9c06eb/Product/View/W2075

Just under $2 a metre and just under 0.2 dB / m loss at UHF.

Not too shabby.

......   Phil

Re: Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

Thanks Phil.

Actually, after a bit of searching last might I came across a Forum which
convinced me that what I needed was RG6 and I'd decided that if there was no
response here I'd to go out and buy exactly this DSE product.  Thanks for
responding and confirming that I'm still able to sift out some of the wheat!

dave

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/46d412eb08359a4a2740c0a87f9c06eb/Product/View/W2075

Re: Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

Yes, quad shield RG6 is the go, as are F connectors. It also makes
installation much easier if you use the "twist on" F connectors.

Bunnings have quad shield RG6 for around $1/m I think.
Don't be tempted by the dual shield RG6 at around $0.60/m, quad is
better.

Note also that the twist on F connectors come in two types designed
for either dual or quad shield.

Dave.

Re: Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

"vwq47"

**  So, there are at least 3 runs involved  ?

How many outlets are you gonna install   ??

With 3 runs and using the existing antenna down lead  -  it makes 4.

Bought your 4 way splitter yet   ??

Considered using an amplifier to compensate for splitter losses  ?

.......   Phil

Re: Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

Just the aerial in and two outlets . . lounge and bedroom.
Cable is in place and one hole bored, I have the splitter and connectors.
It's too hot there now and I'm off to a funeral!
dave

Re: Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

Under 45 Deg C ?
  get in there and fix it contractor

Re: Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:10:30 +1000, "Phil Allison"

I have the same in my house. I bought a splitter from the local
electrical wholesaler and a roll of rg6 quad sheild when it was on
special. Turns out the roll advertised was a mistake but they gave it
to me at the advertised price anyway. Cabled a few of my mates places
too!

Re: Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

The wholesale price is around .50 a metre . so how did you do ?

Re: Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:56:12 +1000, a t e c 7 7 <"atec 77 at hotmail

I picked up a 100m roll for something like $20-30 from turks at
geebung. IIRC at the same time I also bought a genuine krone 24way cat
5 pacth panel at a bargain price.

Site Timeline