Clamp metesr and DC current

Can clamp meters measure DC current using the clamp(as round a car battery
lead)?  If so, how do they work? Surely they need a varying current, as in
AC?

Re: Clamp metesr and DC current
finger to keyboard and composed:

Compact 0-80A Automotive Ammeter:
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30551/article.html
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/static/images/articles/i305/30551_12mg.jpg

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Clamp metesr and DC current

Ones that are designed for DC can, yes.

They use "hall effect" sensors that work with DC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect
http://hades.mech.northwestern.edu/wiki/index.php/Hall_Effect_Sensor
http://www.sensorland.com/PDF/allegrotp002.pdf

Dave.

Re: Clamp metesr and DC current

IIRC, before the advent of solid state electronics, they consisted of a
pivoted permanent magnet which aligned itself with the magnetic field around
the cable. This was spring loaded and was linked to the pointer.  A cable
groove was included in the rear of the meter, which was placed in contact
with the cable insulation to take a reading.

Chas.

Re: Clamp metesr and DC current

They use a 'Hall effect' sensor built into the clamp. Can do AC and DC.
Bought one of these last year ... (beware of line break)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-AC-DC-CLAMP-MULTIMETER-AUTOMOTIVE-BATTERY-METE
R_W0QQitemZ400037674266QQihZ027QQcategoryZ294QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVi
ewItem
Really weird to be able to clip on and see the direction of charging current
into a battery, or how much current some circuitry is taking.

Re: Clamp metesr and DC current
Good looking product meter fluctuates to much and is unstable. Uses Hall
Effect sensor
http://www.rgb007.com/producer/1/syd/product_g/product_g1-93s.JPG

Site Timeline