Clamp metesr and DC current

Can clamp meters measure DC current using the clamp(as round a car battery lead)? If so, how do they work? Surely they need a varying current, as in AC?

Reply to
MoiInAust

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 06:51:39 +1100, "MoiInAust" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Compact 0-80A Automotive Ammeter:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Ones that are designed for DC can, yes.

They use "hall effect" sensors that work with DC.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

IIRC, before the advent of solid state electronics, they consisted of a pivoted permanent magnet which aligned itself with the magnetic field around the cable. This was spring loaded and was linked to the pointer. A cable groove was included in the rear of the meter, which was placed in contact with the cable insulation to take a reading.

--
Regards,

Chas.

(To email me, replace "xxx" with letters tango papa golf.)
Reply to
Chas

They use a 'Hall effect' sensor built into the clamp. Can do AC and DC. Bought one of these last year ... (beware of line break)

ewItem Really weird to be able to clip on and see the direction of charging current into a battery, or how much current some circuitry is taking.

Reply to
john jardine

Good looking product meter fluctuates to much and is unstable. Uses Hall Effect sensor

David