Circuit simulation and PCB software

Can anyone recommend a good CAD program(s) for circuit sim (SPICE)
schematic and PCB layout ?

Preferably free or non-crippled shareware.
I only need the sim to work up to about 5Mhz or so.

Cheers !

Re: Circuit simulation and PCB software

LTspice is a very popular simulator:
http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/index.jsp

Autotrax PCB is freeware, if you don't mind using DOS
http://www.altium.com/Community/Support/Downloads /

Dave.

Re: Circuit simulation and PCB software

It is quite well behaved under 98SE, and presumably would be under ME if anyone
is silly enough to be using that.  In a VM under XP?  Dunno.

Re: Circuit simulation and PCB software

    Works OK for me. :)

Bob

Re: Circuit simulation and PCB software

LTSpice is free from Linear Technology and there is a very good 3rd part
Yahoo group for questions and answers ans spice models when you register.

KICAD is an open - source schemati capture and PCB program....

Google these for down loads
Joe

Re: Circuit simulation and PCB software

David has the right idea. I, too, recommend LTSpice. As good as you'll get,
at the right price: 0$

For what (little) it's worth,
... Steve

Re: Circuit simulation and PCB software

Hi

I want to simulate a circuit consisting of PowerPC processor and FPGAs
as main components. Is it possible to verify the schematic and
functionality of all the components in some CAD tool like LTSpice etc
before getting all the things stuffed on PCB?  or i am thinking
science fiction ?

Regards
Zubair

Re: Circuit simulation and PCB software
program(s) for circuit sim (SPICE)

electrically there is very little to simulate - unless, of course,
things are going very fast, in which case ringing, transmission line
behaviour, termination etc. can be fairly easily simulated (e.g. using
IBIS models).

SPICE pretty much models things at the transistor level, and there are a
LOT of transistors in a power PC, or an FPGA. dont event think about it.

FPGA tools invariably have simulators, which are behavioural. likewise
with microprocessor toolsets. this is all you can realistically do.

Cheers
Terry

Site Timeline