Circuit Board VIAS

Can someone point me in the right direction to purchase small
quantities of vias, or let me know of other ways to connect both sides
of a double sided pcb togeter

Lucky Phil

Re: Circuit Board VIAS

Solder small wire links to both sides of the pcb through the holes
where you would normally place the vias.

Re: Circuit Board VIAS

as i need to mount ic sockets in these holes i can't join with wires or pins

Re: Circuit Board VIAS

snipped-for-privacy@netspace.net.au (Lucky Phil) wrote in

Try wire wrap sockets, and solder both sides of each leg on the board.

Re: Circuit Board VIAS

sides
or pins

Machine pin sockets will allow you to solder both sides, unless you
have everything packed together which is a BAD move if you intended to
make the board yourself.
There are many DS PTH proto services available fairly cheaply.

Dave :)

Re: Circuit Board VIAS

use machined pin sockets and solder both sides

-Andrew M

Re: Circuit Board VIAS

As others have suggested, machine pin sockets are the best way to go in this
case.
I'm assuming you mean dual in line IC sockets, and not square sockets.

If you've got IC sockets side by side, it can be difficult to solder them in
place
on both sides of the board, because when the socket is in place, the bottom
edge of the surrounding plastic can be very close to the pcb, and its pretty
difficult to get a soldering iron and solder in there. Especially if there are
horizontal braces/spacers between each side of the socket, then it can be
extremely difficult to solder the pins to the pads that would almost be hidden
on the top side.

I'd use the following method. Cut the machine pin IC socket in half, and remove
the side braces/spacers so that you have 2 equal length rows. Tac solder each
end of the socket on the solder side, while keeping the minimum amount of the
pin protruding through the pcb. This allows the socket to stand off the board by
a millimeter or more, allowing you more space to solder the socket to the pads
on the top layer of the board, under the plastic housing of the socket.

When you feel you have the socket at the right height to enable you to get the
solder and soldering iron in the correct positions on the top of the board, then
complete the soldering of both rows on both sides of the pcb.

Re: Circuit Board VIAS

Farnell used to have a product made by multicore
that was basically thick plated solder, you inserted
it into the hole and crimped it in then heated it
with an iron to remove the solder core and leave
behind the hollow shell inside the hole.

Mark H

Re: Circuit Board VIAS

I am actually usinc plcc sockets (32 pin square ones) so they can't be
cut up.
The multicore things are what i'm looking for but have not been able
to find a smaller quantity than 1000

Philip

Re: Circuit Board VIAS

Try using the SIP method I mentioned earlier.

You could try to space the socket off the pcb by a millimeter or so,
so you can get access to the top layer pads and legs of the socket.

Re: Circuit Board VIAS

Hi Lucky, Yep I was using them on 52 pin plcc's, make sure
you size them right as the smaller size is a very tight
squeeze for the square plcc pins. I forked out the full
amount for 1000 as I figured I could use them elsewhere.
The packet is very small when it arrives for the cost.

      I don't think it's the approved method but I
bought a cheap pair of rounded off longnose pliers and
heated the tips and bent them 90 degrees so the tips
touched: after filing both sides at once on a flat
file to align  them I used this tool to crimp them.
It doesn't flare the ends but as the piece gets squashed
it expands and wedges tight in the hole. The solder
still makes contact with the ends when tinned.

You may be able to buy direct off Multicore cheaper than
Farnell.

Regards
Mark

Re: Circuit Board VIAS

The February issue of Elektor describes using these soldering vias
or "bail bar tubes" as they call them.
.

Re: Circuit Board VIAS

Thanks everyone for your input, I have decided to use Jaycar IC socket
strips P/N PI 6470  used a dremel to cut off the pin sticking out the
bottom then removed from plastic soldered into pcb from component side
then fitted component through holes and then soldered from other side,
worked like a dream.
lucky

Re: Circuit Board VIAS

I'll say you're lucky. I gave up on DIY PTH years ago, it just wasnt
worth the frustration. Huge numbers of "faults" turn out to be dodgy
vias. If you value your time at all, its generally cheaper just to get a
decent PTH pcb made. If you are doing this in a commercial sense, its
downright daft. Then there is the medium- to long-term reliability issue
(or, more precisely, the lack thereof).

Cheers
Terry

Site Timeline